Crochet Star Ornament Pattern

I don’t know about you, but I get a lot of inspiration while wandering through Pinterest, and when I saw these crocheted stars (while you’re there, consider following me on Pinterest!), I knew I wanted some.  But there was no pattern at the end of that rainbow, so I fall back on my “I saw, I want, I conquer” process.  This involves me, on a couch with some cheap yarn, a hook and a lot of crocheting and uncrocheting.  Still, I got something that works and looks similar enough, so here’s the crochet star ornament pattern at the end of your rainbow.  Or for your Christmas tree.

Crochet Star pattern for an ornament. www.1dogwoof.com

Supplies:

Worsted weight yarn.  I used both cotton and acrylic yarn.
G size hook
yarn needle
scissors

Abbreviations:

puff stitch – *Yarn over, insert hook into ring, yarn over and pull through*.  Repeat from * 2 more times.  You should have 7 loops on your hook.  Yarn over one last time, and pull hook through all the loops on your hook.

Crochet Star

Start with a magic ring.

Round 1: *Work 1 puff stitch. Chain 2*.  Repeat from * 4 more times for a total of 5 puff stitches. Slip stitch into the top of the first puff stitch.

Round 2: Chain 2. In the same stitch, work (2 DC, Chain 1, 3 DC).  In the next 4 puff stitches, work (3 DC, Chain 1, 3 DC).  Slip stitch into the first DC to end the round.

Round 3: *Chain 1. In the chain space from the previous round, work (1 HDC, 2 DC, Chain 2, 2 DC, 1 HDC).  Chain 1.  Slip stitch into 3rd DC from hook.* Repeat from * 4 more times.  The last slip stitch should end the round.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Crochet star pattern.  www.1dogwoof.com

Thread a ribbon through the star to hang it on your tree!

Crochet Star Ornament pattern.  www.1dogwoof.com

Or, if you like this pattern, head on over to my Crochet page and see what other quick project patterns I have for you!

Comments

1. Sara says

This is awesome! I too have seen that pin and loved it! I looked at it just this morning and finally pinned it, thinking to myself that I could probably figure it out! I just now saw this and am thrilled I don’t have to figure it myself! Thanks Sara

My pleasure Sara! I’ve had that pin on my to-do list for ages. Of course, I wait until the week before Christmas to sit down and figure it out. But I’m glad you like it and will use it! Happy Holidays!

oh so pretty! I’ve pinned this to make next year… I think I’m done with Christmas projects for this year… {I know! Blogger blasphemy!!} EMily

Thanks Emily! I keep telling myself I’m done, but then I think up one more thing to do. I’m trying to be done by this weekend so I can enjoy the last two weeks of the year!

Hi Frances, you do not work any chain stitches in the circle. You start with a magic circle so that it can be closed all the way, and the puff stitches are worked directly into the magic circle. Hope that helps!

• MaryJane says

Any tricks to getting started with the puff stitch in the magic circle? I seem to b e having diffculty making it work.

Hi Mary, to be honest, I had to practice several times to get the puff stitch to look right. Every time you yarn over, try to keep the tautness of the yarn consistent, and then once a puff stitch is complete, you might need to fidget a bit and tighten it up by pulling on some yarns.

3. Susan Y says

I use a public computer so really shouldn’t download this in order to print it. How can I print without downloading? Really want to try this star! Thanks!

I’m not sure I understand why you would need to download anything. You can print directly from the browser or copy the pattern to a text file and print from the text file. Thanks!

4. Connie says

Thanks for this pattern! I just finished it and it looks very similar to yours!!!! Thanks again!!! Love your website!!!!

5. Frances Hughes says

Thanks so much….don’t think I had ever heard of a magic circle before, but I have now downloaded the instructions for it! I appreciate the assistance!

6. Tess says

Definitely making these for next year! Had our Christmas early as we are expecting a new little one in January and doc told her to stay close to home! Going to use glitter yarn to “sparkle” them. Also using blues to have an “icy” theme I think Thanks for the pattern

7. Helen Stitt says

Thank you for this pattern. It is just what I would have liked to make before Christmas. I have plenty of time now, to have some ready for next Christmas. Thank you. Helen