Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern

by | All Designs, Crochet, Free Patterns, Kids & Toys, Spring

I’ve had this idea in my head for a year now, but it’s finally come to something.  So, from my last post, you might have deduced that I like Kinder Eggs.  The German ones have a little yellow cylinder in them that holds a toy and I’ve seen those little yellow “eggs” disguised as all sorts of fun crochet creatures.  But we don’t get Kinder Eggs here, so I’m disguising a plastic Easter egg instead.  Same concept.  Use this monster easter egg crochet pattern to create a friend who opens his mouth to hold a little toy or a little bit of candy!

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

Because you’re not stuffing the body of the pattern, the body has to be created in two parts and stitched together.  All of my rounds are worked continuously, with no seams.

Lily Sugar ‘n Cream Cotton Yarn in magenta, or other worsted weight yarn
Clover 1044/F Pink Amour Crochet Hook, Size F, 3.75mm*
regular sized plastic egg
white, blue, black felt pieces
scissors
yarn needle
hot glue
small amount of Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Bag, 12-Ounce*

* indicates affiliate link

Abbreviations

sts – stitch
sc – single crochet
sc2tog – single crochet to stitches together, to decrease a stitch in the round.

Egg Bottom

Round 1: Start with a magic circle. Work 6 sc into magic circle. (6 sts)

Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12 sts)

Round 3: *Sc 1, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (18 sts)

Round 4: *Sc 2, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (24 sts)

Round 5-8: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (24 sts)

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Egg Top

Round 1: Start with a magic circle. Work 6 sc into magic circle. (6 sts)

Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12 sts)

Round 3: *Sc 2, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (16 sts)

Round 4: *Sc 3, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (20 sts)

Round 5: *Sc 4, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (24 sts)

Round 6-9: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (24 sts)

Fasten off but leave a long tail.

Use the tail to stitch the bottom and top of the egg together across approximately 6 stitches to create a solid “hinge”.

Arms

Round 1: Start with a magic circle. Work 6 sc into magic circle. (6 sts)

Round 2: *Sc 1, then sc 2 in next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (9 sts)

Round 3: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (9 sts)

Round 4: *Sc 1, sc2tog next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (6 sts)

Round 5: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (6 sts)

Whether you stuff the arms is up to you, since they are so small.  I squeezed a tiny bit of filling in just to give it a bit of oomph.

Flatten the piece and sc together.  Fasten off but leave a long tail. Sew to the bottom of the egg body.

Legs

Round 1: Start with a magic circle. Work 6 sc into magic circle. (6 sts)

Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12 sts)

Round 3-4: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (12 sts)

Round 5: *Sc 2, sc2tog next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (9 sts)

Start stuffing the legs firmly.

Round 6: *Sc 1, sc2tog next stitch.* Repeat from * around. (6 sts)

Round 7: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (6 sts)

Face

1. Cut out circles in white, blue and black felt.  Cut a tiny piece of white felt for the “glimmer” in his eye.  Hot glue the layers together to make the eye, then glue the eye to the body.

2. Cut out triangles from the white felt and glue to the inside of the body for the teeth.

Finishing

Put a dab of glue on the bottom half of the plastic egg and press firmly into the bottom of the body.  Also secure the edge of the bottom piece with glue.  Do the same with the top half of the plastic egg.  The plastic egg should be able to close tightly and open when you give it a light squeeze.

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern, holds treats! | www.1dogwoof.com

Fill your little monster with Easter treats!

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

Hide him among the other Easter eggs.

Little Monster Easter Egg Crochet Pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

I hope you like this pattern!

As usual, this pattern is for personal use only.  Please do not claim this pattern as your own, or sell or distribute it.  If you would like to share this pattern, please link to this site and do no repost the pattern on your site.  You can sell finished items made from this pattern, but please link back and give credit to One Dog Woof.  Thanks!

If you’d like to see more patterns, head on over to my Crochet section, or start with the ones here!

Owl Pouch
owl_pouch-1-3

Beaded Friendship Bracelet
Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet

5-Petal Flower
crochet_flower-3

1. Carolyn

OMG this the the cutest thingI’ve ever seen! All my crochet is packed up for moving but I plan to give this one a try! Thanks so much for sharing!

Thank you Carolyn!

2. Tara

This is ADORABLE! As someone who also loves Kinder Eggs -but can buy them at the store – I think that your Monster guy is fantastic and such a great take on them!

Ahhh, thanks Tara! I got some Kinder eggs in Taiwan, but they’re different than the German ones with the little yellow container in the middle. These break in half with candy on one side, toy on the other.

3. Diana

to cute-I may try this but leave it one piece(not to open)Just as a decoration I can put out every year

I think that would be really neat too – I may have to try a different pattern that doesn’t open. It might be a bit hard to crochet around the egg, but maybe not. Let me know!

4. Emily

ChiWei this is SOOO cute! Love it! My boys would love to have this in their Easter basket. Hopefully I can make a couple before Easter ;o) Thanks for sharing, pinned.

Thanks for the pin Emily! My son loves it too, even though it’s pink 🙂

5. Rachel

Ah! Cutest little monster ever! Thanks for sharing the pattern–so adorable!

Thank you Rachel!

6. Nancy

This is beyond adorable!

Thanks Nancy!

7. Sky

I die over the cuteness!! Oh my goodness, these are the cutest Easter idea EVER! Makes me want to take up crochet for the first time in a long, long while 🙂 Pinning and sharing like crazy- great work, ChiWei!

Thanks so much Sky! I appreciate the love 🙂

8. Steph @ meet.make.laugh.

Woah woah woah….. you don’t get Kinder Surprise Eggs in the States?? Whaaaa? But they are an easter staple! That’s weird we get them in Canada and you do not!

On another note, LOVE the monster!

Yeah! I know, right? I hear it’s something about small pieces and choking hazards for kids, blah blah, you know, because we’re all super paranoid here or something. I got some when I went back to Taiwan but they weren’t the same! Still good though 🙂

9. Karen

This will be my second pattern from you. I also made the owl pouch. I like your patterns. Very whimsical. Thank you for sharing. And my grandchildren thank you too. They are just too young to type!!

Awww, thanks! I’m glad you like them!

10. Alexis @ Persia Lou

Oh my goodness, ChiWei! This is the cutest thing ever. Pinned for sure

Thanks so much Alexis!

11. RecycleCindy

Super cute and I love all the photos you posted. I have bookmarked this pattern and hope to get the chance to crochet one before Easter.

Thank you! Good luck and let me know how it goes!

12. Sheila

This monster is adorable! I HAVE to make it fir my four year old!!! Thank you for sharing! Happy Easter =}

• Sheila

…for my three year old, not fir, haha

Thank you Sheila! My 3 year old loves his 🙂

13. Rory

great idea and so cute! will give it a try…hopefully make it in time this Easter for nephews and niece 😉 thanks for sharing!

I think kids will love them! My son goes to bed with his 🙂

14. meghan

Hey There!

I found your crocheted egg monster on craftgawker and think it is beyond adorable! If you have a second, I would love if you came by and linked up at The Blitsy Crafts Linky Party. http://ss1.us/a/wtcjKlt9. We are featuring all “things crochet”. We are choosing 3 of our favorite projects, and those chosen will get $5 in Blitsy credits. Hopefully we see you at our party!

Thanks Meghan, I linked up!

15. Kristy

Love this idea! Cutest thing I have seen for Easter ever! Thank you!

Wow, thanks so much Kristy! It was a blast to make 🙂

16. Sara @ Mama's Therapy

My boys are soooo going to love seeing these in their Easter baskets this year.

Yay! So glad you like them Sara, and your boys are going to have so much fun with them!

17. Pam

is row 4 correct? if I follow these directions I get 36 stitches not 24

Pam, on the top part, the ** is repeated 6 times, so 2 sc + 2 sc in the next stitch = 4 sts, repeated 6 times is 24 sts.

• Pam

sorry about the misunderstanding… I believe I get it now… grand-kids will love this egg monster

18. Julie Martin

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your adorable monster egg pattern. I’m going to have fun making him!!!

Aw thanks Julie! He is fun to make, and even more fun to open 🙂

19. Rebecca

Oh this is absolutely ADORABLE! I need to get started making some of these for Easter! Thanks so much for sharing!

You’re so welcome Rebecca!

20. MOMMA DEB

I have crocheted for many years. Your EGG TOP: Round 4: is WRONG.
    It reads *SC 2, then sc 2 in next stitch, *Repeat from * around. (20sts).
    Even after your explination to {PAM on March 28, 2014} it is still wrong.
    (and I have to add, the writing of the pattern is hard to follow in the first place, because the correct writting should be – SC in first sc, or 2 SC in first sc. ETC .) A beginner would never figure this out.)
    Would you try to explain this pattern better?

Hi Debbie,

Can you explain what you feel is wrong with the pattern? If you SC in each of the next 3 stitches, then 2 SC in next stitch, and repeat that pattern 4 times, that’s a total of 20 stitches, which is what I wrote. As for writing style, well, everyone has their own preferences. I am always available to help answer any questions anyone might have, if something is unclear. Thanks!