For the Zoodiacs Mouse c2c crochet graph, I always have to tell myself to call him a mouse and not a rat. A lot of interpretations of the Chinese Zodiac say rat, but in chinese, the word can either mean rat or mouse, and who wants to be a rat? Let’s all be mice instead. I did choose to make him gray though, instead of the white lab mice with red eyes, I figured that might be a bit creepy on what is supposed to be a cute afghan.
This mouse is just 1 out of 12 Zoodiacs graphs I’m sharing, depicting animals from the Chinese Zodiac, of which my family are big fans. It’s always fun to figure out what animal you are linked to, and if you have those same characteristics.
J hook (CloverUSA Amour Hooks*)
Red Heart Super Saver in Gray Heather
Michaels Loops and Threads Impeccables in Aqua
Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Linen, Pink, Black
A few notes:
- I made my squares using C2C (corner to corner) crochet. Using an I hook, I got squares around 18 inches wide, but my gauge did vary a bit. You can use C2C crochet, or make a single crochet graphghan, totally up to you.
- The colors I chose were based on the final blanket design. You can obviously switch things around, but I do list the yarns I used below.
- I re-used the same yarns for multiple squares so the blanket has some color consistency. Using a combination of mostly Lion Brand Vanna's Choice and Michaels Loops and Threads, I found I could get a diverse color palette and consistent yarn feel, with no one skein jumping out in either hue, vibrancy or feel.
- I always have 2 skeins of the background color on hand. It made it easier to work the C2C running two skeins at the same time.
- To finish the square, work 1 round of sc around the square. I worked 3 sc into each "tile" of the c2c, and a ch 2 in the corners, then slip stitching into the first sc. (69 sc + ch 2) * 4 sides. This also makes it easier to join the squares later.
Zoodiacs Mouse C2C Graph
If you missed a Zoodiacs post, you can always find all of the graphs available on my Zoodiacs page. I’ll be adding new animals there, as well as fleshing out different ideas related to the Zoodiacs.