Warm and Toasty – Crochet Mug Cozies

by | Crochet

UPDATE: You can purchase the pattern here, or try this free pattern of my own to make a basketweave cup cozy!

I’ve been crocheting almost every night, and I finally have some pictures to show what I’ve been up to – mug cozies!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

(Here’s my “mug cozy turkey”, cause you know, Thanksgiving is comin’ up!)

I don’t drink name brand coffees in the disposable cups (I don’t drink coffee at all), so the little coffee cup cozies are not much use for me, but mug cozies are great!  I do drink tea, and hot chocolate and even soup in ceramic mugs, and I hate having to hold the mug only by the handle, don’t you?  And that ceramic sure gets hot in a hurry!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

These mug cozies are cute and colorful and pretty easy to work up.  I used a pattern from Ollies Boutique on Ravelry; her directions are easy to understand and the cozies have a great nubby texture to them.  The cozies are worked up in Sugar n’ Cream cotton yarn, and boy did I go a little hog wild when Michaels had a yarn sale.  I got the personalized buttons from WearhouseIndustries, and altered the mug cozy pattern slightly in order to crochet the buttons directly into the piece instead of adding it at the end.

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

I’m making a bunch of these for my 2nd craft fair coming up (see my first one here), so I hope they sell!  If not, they’ll be going up in my Etsy shop.  I think they’re great for stuffing some stockings or for teacher’s gifts, or maybe I’ll just keep some for myself!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

Do you use mug cozies?  What are your favorite colors, or, which colors should I make more of?

1. Rachel

They are adorable! And I can’t get over the buttons. That is just plain amazing. I had no idea there was any such thing as engraved buttons! I love what they add to the cozies. So, so, so cute!

2. meet.make.laugh.

These are lovely! And so many colours to choose from!

3. Christy

hmmm… I need to make some of these!

4. Carrie

The custom button makes these cozies! I like the bright blue the best

5. Kristal

These are super cute, I had never heard of cozies but I think they will be great stocking stuffers. Love the buttons a ton and my favorite colors are orange and all the blues!

• Jackie Markiewicz

Good morning ChiWei,

My name is Jackie and I love to crochet I love yours and Sarah’s from the Repeat Crafter me web site. I have learned so much from you both. The only thing that I have not learned is to sale the stuff that I make I give it away… I make for churches and charities and my two grandchildren.

My 2nd and part time job, I work for Michaels and this month they are raising money so I have been donating your cup cozies Everyone seems to want them. I did have a lady who asked if I could make the mug cozie. Is it the same as the cup cozy pattern? I tried to get the pattern from your site (link) but it is not coming up. Would you be able to send it to me please?

I thank you so much for sharing your patterns. Have a wonderful day and I look forward to hearing from you.

6. crystalandakiko.com

im so cold right now but yet became instantly cozy when i saw this…hahaha…love it!

smiles,

Crystal

7. Recreate and Repin

I love these! I really like the ones with multiple colors like the white and pink in your first photo.

8. Being Inspired

These are so cute!! And I love your buttons. I must really invest in some personalised buttons and ribbon. 🙂

9. Sara McFall

Gorgeous! Love the colors and the design and you take fantastic pictures! I’m so glad you found my party :). And you have buttons with your name on it? SO COOL! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

10. misselayneous

This is super cute and lovely! I love the colors and how they make a simple mug lively!
    misselayneousthings.blogspot.com

11. Deerly Beeloved

Seriously so adorable! How do you not drink coffee at all lol?!?! Ill forgive you since your mug cozies are so dang darling;) I would love to purchase some from you! Let me know when theyre up for grabs;P

Brittny @ deerlybeelovedcreations.com

12. MaryL

These are really nice!! Love all the soft colors…look very well made too!

13. Kara

These are gorgeous!! I love your blog!! You have to be my guest. I would love for you to share your ABC book on my blog. Email me: [email protected]