Our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) season started last week at the neighborhood farm, and I have to admit, I wasn’t quite ready for it. How do I know? I bought lettuce on Wednesday at the grocery store, only to realize that I could have gotten locally grown lettuce if I waited 3 days. Oops. The silly thing is, we’ve been waiting all winter for a dose of spring greens, and when the CSA starts, we drown in in a mess of leafy greens – lettuce, bok choy, chard, kale, collard greens, escarole, frisee, mustard greens, and arugula, to name a few.
So, I was definitely off my game that first Saturday, but I did get it together enough to grab some potatoes and beautiful red radishes to break up the mountain of green we brought home. Of course, after craving greens for so long, the first thing we do is make potato salad. Go figure. I decided to make a variation of the Japanese Potato Salad recipe found in Japanese Farm Food, one of my favorite new cookbooks. I didn’t have okra or carrots or edamame, but I had radishes, so I improvised. Here’s what I came up with, my Summertime Mashed Potato Salad or “Utter Deliciousness”, whichever…
This recipe is very forgiving and it’s all about your personal taste and what ingredients you have on hand. So play around, have fun and bon appetit!
Summertime Mashed Potato Salad
- 4 lbs of potatoes
- 1/2 C mayonnaise
- 2-3 tsp mustard
- a half dozen medium sized radishes
- 3 dill pickle spears or equivalent amount of relish
- 2 green onions
- small amount of red onions
- salt and pepper
- Peel, cut and boil the potatoes. Once the potatoes are soft enough to be mashed, drain and set aside to cool.
- Slice the radishes into a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and let sit for 20-30 minutes. The salt draws out the water and makes the radishes softer and less spicy.
- Finely dice the pickles, green onions and red onions.
- Once the potatoes are cool, mash well. Add the vegetables, mayo and mustard. The amounts can be easily changed to suit your tastes. Mix well, and season to taste.
Wow, this looks absolutely yummy. I have never made a mashed potato salad but I think I need to try this out! Pinning!
Have all of the ingredients on hand, so I’m going to give this a try this week. Looks yummy!
This looks absolutely delicious, I love the idea of a mashed potato salad! I love all the ingredients you added, it sounds wonderful!
Great idea! Thank you for sharing.
Yummy in my tummy!