If you know how to make the Foundation Single Crochet, then the foundation half double crochet stitch will be easy peasy to learn, and it’s a great one to add to your stitch repertoire. Let’s get right to it! Follow along with the instructions and then the pics below.
Update: Here’s a video to help you out!
1. Start with 3 chains on hook.
2. Yarn over, and then insert hook into the first chain/3rd chain from hook. Yarn over and pull up a loop. You should have 3 loops on your hook.
3. Yarn over and pull up through the first loop on the hook <- this creates your first “chain stitch”.
4. Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook <- this completes your first foundation half double crochet stitch!
5. To create the second half double crochet stitch, yarn over and insert hook into the “chain stitch” you created in Step 3.
6. Yarn over and pull up a loop to create your next chain stitch.
7. Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook to complete your next half double crochet stitch.
Lather, rinse, repeat over and over again until you get your desired foundation row length. This is a great way to immediately start a project with a bit of height!
It might be a little unclear, but in the picture above, there are 2 fhdc. The chains will be easy to recognize whether you’re working in rows or rounds.
Find me on Facebook or Instagram where you can share your projects, ask questions or come say hi!
Very nicely and clearly explained. Thank you!
Thank you so much for these instructions. I have tried doing foundation stitches before several times and could never understand their instructions. Yours made it easy to figure out. Thanks again. I won’t have to skip patterns that call for this now or chain and crochet my first row.
At this time it looks like Movable Type is the best blogging platform out there right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
Thanks so much! Clear, concise & appreciate having the written, pictures & video becaus it always takes me several tries, frogs, & retries to learn a new stitch!
What is the magic circle.? I’m working on the jellyfish
Thanks for this GREAT tutorial!!
This is so helpful! Thank you 🙂
Do we count the 2 chains left over from the initial chain three as a fhdc or do we start the count at the very first actual fhdc?
Trying to start high line crochet sweater and after doing Fhdc and fsc but can’t find the 3 rd loop in the row 2 of pattern for fhdc please help
Thanks, excellent explanation , and I love your “brand” 1 Dog Woof, very cute!