If you know how to make the Foundation Single Crochet, then the foundation half double crochet stitch will be easy peasy to learn, and it’s a great one to add to your stitch repertoire. Let’s get right to it! Follow along with the instructions and then the pics below.
Update: Here’s a video to help you out!
1. Start with 3 chains on hook.
2. Yarn over, and then insert hook into the first chain/3rd chain from hook. Yarn over and pull up a loop. You should have 3 loops on your hook.
3. Yarn over and pull up through the first loop on the hook <- this creates your first “chain stitch”.
4. Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook <- this completes your first foundation half double crochet stitch!
5. To create the second half double crochet stitch, yarn over and insert hook into the “chain stitch” you created in Step 3.
6. Yarn over and pull up a loop to create your next chain stitch.
7. Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook to complete your next half double crochet stitch.
Lather, rinse, repeat over and over again until you get your desired foundation row length. This is a great way to immediately start a project with a bit of height!
It might be a little unclear, but in the picture above, there are 2 fhdc. The chains will be easy to recognize whether you’re working in rows or rounds.