Rainbow Cuddles Crochet Unicorn Pattern

Who wouldn't want this adorable and colorful crochet unicorn? Free pattern too! | www.1dogwoof.com

UPDATE: I am now offering a printable PDF version of this Rainbow Cuddles Crochet Unicorn pattern for sale on Craftsy (US only) and Etsy (international buyers, start here!). The PDF does not have ads or comments, and has the photos at the bottom for easier printing.

Here we go.  A unicorn.  A large, bright and colorful crochet unicorn.  Yeah!  I wanted something LM could grow up with, and it seems our house is filled with small, handheld stuffies.  Well, I wanted a large, super cuddly, takes-up-serious-room-on-the-bed stuffie, so here it is!  He is inspired by the IT’S SO FLUFFY unicorn from Despicable Me, but he is his own unique self.

Here's lookin' at you! Free pattern for a crochet unicorn | www.1dogwoof.com

As with all my other patterns, please do not distribute, sell, reprint or otherwise give away this pattern.  You can sell finished products using this pattern, but please link back to this post and give proper credit in your listing.  Let’s all play nice and respect each other’s hard work, right?

Love the colors on this crochet unicorn. Free pattern! | www.1dogwoof.com

Supplies:

• White yarn for the body. I used Caron One Pound in white, which I’ve had since making my granny quilt.
  • Pink yarn for the nose and hooves: Red Heart Super Saver in Baby Pink – also leftover from who knows when.
  • Scrap yarn in assorted colors, including brown (nostrils) and gold/yellow (horn).  I don’t know the exact colors I used – they are a mix of Vanna’s Choice, Red Heart and Loops and Threads yarn.
  • 12 mm safety eyes *
  • Size H (5.00 mm) hook*
  • fiberfill stuffing
  • embroidery needle
  • scissors
  • stitch marker

*indicates affiliate link

Abbreviations:

• sc: single crochet
  • sc2tog: decreasing stitch using single crochet
  • hdc: half double crochet

Crochet Unicorn Pattern:

The head and body are worked, filled and closed off.  The legs, horn and ears are not closed off and are sewn directly onto the larger piece.

Head:

***Start with pink/nose yarn.
Round 1: Sc 6 into a magic circle. (6)
Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12)
Round 3: Work *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (18)
Round 4: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (24)
Round 5: Work *1 sc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (30)
Round 6: Work *1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (36)
Round 7-8: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (36)
Round 9: Work *1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (42)
Round 10: Work *1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (48)
***Switch to white/body yarn.
Round 11-12: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (48)
Round 13: Work *1 sc in each of next 7 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (54)
Round 14: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54)
Round 15: Work *1 sc in each of next 7 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (48)
Round 16-21: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (48)
Round 22: Work *1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (42)
Round 23: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (42)
Round 24: Work *1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (36)
Round 25: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (36)
Round 26: Work *1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (30)
Round 27: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (30)
Round 28: Work *1 sc in each of next 3 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (24)
Round 29: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (24)
At this point, you’ll want to embroider on the nostrils with brown yarn.  The are placed 2 rows down from the pink/white border, and spirals across 2 rows.  Stuff the head and then attach the safety eyes between row 21 and 22, about 3 stitches apart.
Round 30: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (18)
Round 31: Work *1 sc in next stitch, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (12)
Round 32: *sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (6)
Close and fasten off.

Ears:

***With white/body yarn:
Round 1: Work 6 sc into a magic circle. (6)
Round 2: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (6)
Round 3: Work *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* 3 times. (9)
Round 4: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 3 times. (12)
Round 5-6: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (12)
Round 7: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 3 times. (9)
Round 8: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (9)
Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Flatten the piece together and sew onto the head. It’s your choice whether you want the ears pointed inwards or outwards.

Horn:

Round 1: Sc 4 into a magic circle. (4)
Round 2: Work *1 sc into next stitch, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (6)
Round 3: Work *1 sc into each of next 2 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (8)
Round 4: Work 1 sc into each stitch around. (8)
Round 5: Work *1 sc into each of next 3 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (10)
Round 6-7: Work 1 sc into each stitch around. (10)
Round 8: Work *1 sc into each of next 4 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (12)
Round 9: Work 1 sc into each stitch around. (12)
Round 10: Work *1 sc into each of next 5 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (14)
Round 11: Work 1 sc into each stitch around. (14)
Round 12: Work *1 sc into each of next 6 stitches, 2 sc into next stitch* 2 times. (16)
Round 13: Work 1 sc into each stitch around. (16)
Fasten off, leaving a long tail.  Stuff the horn and sew onto the head centered above the eyes and between the ears.

Body:

Round 1: Sc 6 into a magic circle. (6)
Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12)
Round 3: Work *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (18)
Round 5: Work *1 sc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (30)
Round 6: Work *1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (36)
Round 7: Work *1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (42)
Round 8: Work *1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (48)
Round 9-10: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (48)
Round 11: Work *1 sc in each of next 7 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (54)
Round 12: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54)
Round 13: Work *1 sc in each of next 8 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (60)
Round 14-23: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (60)
Round 24: Work *1 sc in each of next 8 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (54)
Round 25: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (54)
Round 26: Work *1 sc in each of next 7 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (48)
Round 27: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (48)
Round 28: Work *1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (42)
Round 29: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (42)
Round 30: Work *1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (36)
Round 31: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (36)
Round 32: Work *1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (30)
Round 33: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (30)
Round 34: Work *1 sc in each of next 3 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (24)
Round 35-37: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (24)
Start stuffing the body here.
Round 38: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (18)
Round 39: Work *1 sc in next stitch, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (12)
Round 40: *Sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (6)
Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing to the head, approximately 3 or 4 rows down from the top of the head.

Feet:

***With pink yarn:
Round 1: Sc 6 into a magic circle. (6)
Round 2: Work 2 sc in each stitch around. (12)
Round 3: Work *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch* 6 times. (18)
Round 5: Work *1 hdc in each of next 2 stitches, 2 hdc in next stitch* 8 times. (32)
Round 6-9: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (32)
***Changing to white yarn:
Round 10: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (32)
Round 11-12: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (32)
Round 13: Work *1 sc in each of next 6 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 4 times. (28)
Round 14: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (28)
Round 15: Work *1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 4 times. (24)
Round 16-18: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (24)
Round 19: Work *1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, sc2tog next 2 stitches* 6 times. (18)
Round 20: Work 1 sc in each stitch around. (18)
Fill with fiberfill and sew onto body using a whip stitch, securing tightly.  The amount of stuffing you choose to use will determine how dangly the legs are.

Tail:

Make curlie cues from different colored yarns.  I don’t have a specific pattern for these – I played with the types of curlie cues I could make. Here’s the basic outline:

Leaving a long tail at the beginning, ch 30. Work 3 hdc into the 2nd chain from hook. Work hdc in each chain across. Fasten off, leaving a long tail.

I experimented with different chain lengths, using hdc or sc and working either 2, 3, or 4 of the same stitch into each chain.

crochet_unicorn-1

Mane and Tail Assembly:

With the two tails held together, insert hook into where you want the attach the curlie cue and pull the two tails up in a loop. Pull both the tails and the curlie cue through the loop. This is also called a lark’s head knot, where you pull both ends through its own loop.

crochet_unicorn-2

I used the tail of the very last curlie cue to wrap around all the curls to hide the attached ends, tied a knot and tucked it back into the body.

crochet_unicorn-3

curlie cue tail, crochet unicorn | www.1dogwoof.com

The mane is attached using the same lark’s head knot technique.  Cut pieces of yarn about 5 to 6 inches long.  Holding two strands of yarn together, insert your hook where you want to attach the yarn, and pull the two strands through enough to make a loop. Pull all 4 ends through the loop and tighten. Repeat over and over with different colored yarn.

crochet_unicorn-4

I attached the yarn pretty densely along the back of the head and the top of the body, just about in every stitch available. I started with the pink yarn along/around the horn and then worked my way back in rows, progressing through the different colors.

An explosion of color on this crochet unicorn | www.1dogwoof.com

The finished piece is quite large, probably close to 15 inches sitting and even more when he’s held up with legs somewhat dangling.  Hopefully, he’ll be around to cuddle for a good long time!

Crochet unicorn, free pattern! | www.1dogwoof.com

Crochet unicorn, free pattern | www.1dogwoof.com

* contains affliate links

Remember to share your unicorn creations with me on Facebook and Instagram!

You may also like some of my other popular crochet patterns:

Other free patterns from One Dog Woof

Crochet T-Shirt Rug

Double Strapped Mary Janes

Cotton Fish Scrubbies

Frozen Snowman Amigurumi

Get updates by email!

If you're new here or enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing by email to receive updates in your email inbox.

Comments

1. Lisa says

I love this! I was going to make my daughter a little bear for Valentines, but I think I might do this instead. It looks so cuddly! Just one question, do you know about how many yards you used for the white yarn? I have two skeins of Vannas Choice (340 yards) wondering if that would be enough? Thank you for the pattern!

Hi Lisa, I used a half-used pound of yarn, so I’m not exactly sure how much yardage I used up, but I would guess that two skeins will more than cover it. I, and other readers, will definitely love to know though, if you make one!

I want him!!!! He must live at my house…he just simply must! :) This turned out SO cute ChiWei! The legs are perfectly plump, his rainbow mane and curly tail is perfection, and he’s just so dang huggable! Great, great job!

3. Claudia says

So cute, I was looking for something to make for my newest great niece. This is so awesome. Thank you for your wonderful patterns.

4. Nancy says

I lost my mom 9 yrs ago and her favorite was unicorns, she didn’t like tattoos but gave me the okay to tattoo a unicorn in memory of her. I must take a shot at this unicorn, it’s so beautiful and I know she would have loved it, she loved stuffies, I think she sent u to me. Thanks again.

5. dolore wells says

I want to print this pattern I just love it I love unicorns got a great grand daughter I want to make this for
    any answer will help nice job

6. TyeDye Granny says

My granddaughters are going to love this little guy! I have been working to come up with something other than hearts for their valentine gifts. I am also thinking to make a ‘family’ of this pattern. Bulky yarn and larger needle for the Daddy, Worsted for the Momma and sport/baby yarn for the little one. Thank you for sharing this and so many other patterns.

I seriously have no words for how adorably cute this unicorn is. All I want to do is cuddle it, but I know my children will require one of their own before I make one for myself. I will definitely be making this cutie soon!

I love this pattern. It is adorable. But is there any way you could make a video of you creating this? I am more of a visual learner, and I have been struggling with the written pattern.

Hi
    Firstly great pattern. I did find i needed a bit more detail. I am attaching the tail and have all the loose yarn from the attaching tails and do not know how to hide them or what to do with them
    Thanks

10. Jean Feid says

God has just sent us a gift of a beautiful great grandson. I will make this Unicorn ASAP so he can cuddle with it for a long, long time. I have always loved Unicorns, however, this one is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing.

11. Tracy Bailey says

Hi, thank you so much for sharing this pattern, he’s gorgeous. I’m not an experienced crocheter (yet) but I simply have to try making this and I will be making more than one as gifts. Please can you tell me what thickness yarn Canon one pound is, I have lots of colours including baby pink in DK I could use if it’s the correct thickness?

I think DK is correct, or Aran or Worsted weight. It’s what I think of as cheap plain yarn :-) If your yarn is thicker or thinner, you can always use a matching hook to get the right gauge, but I don’t normally worry about gauges.

I’m sooo glad your back! I’m not sure if you left thesite or what but my. Pattern dissapeare!d. And there was. A essage stating you had changed servers or something! I tried everything to find you. And kept checkking to see if you had come back? The pattern was here and the message was gone! Thanfully for I was coming unraveled LOL my yarn and all the itams to make your Beautiful rainbow unicorn are just itching to be made! Thank you again for ssharing sssuch wonderful talent with us! Have a Beautiful day

13. Amy C says

This is so adorable! My daughter is obsessed with unicorns and I’m going to try to make it for her birthday. Thank you for sharing!

14. Suzanne Wild says

Just AMAZING! I can’t wait to start making it! I can’t design a washcloth pattern, let alone something this incredible. Thank you SOOOOOOO much for sharing your awesome talent for design!

15. Nina says

This is so cute! Just had to buy my daughter the book “Uni the Unicorn” because of her live of unicorns now. As for the pattern, this will be my first “creature” project so any help, video links, tips, etc. you have for closing off would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

16. An says

Thuis is sooooo cute. Going to be an aunt in july. Let’s hope it’s a girl so I can crochet this.
    Or maybe I’ll rochet a yellow one just tot be safe 😉

17. Shannon says

This is hands down the most well designed crochet stuffed toy I’ve seen. So many are cute but seem oddly proportioned or just awkward. Not this one, It’s absolutely adorable and I will be making one asap.

18. Barbara Pifer says

I love this and want to make it but don’t always have access to a computer. Is there any way I can print this pattern off? I won’t be sharing it with anyone or selling the made unicorn. Just want to make it for gifts.

Barbara, yup, you should be able to print directly from the browser, or copy the pattern to a text file and print that. If you email me ([email protected]), I can send you a text copied from the browser.

Hi Chi Wei, lovely design, I couldn’t resist making one.
    I hav a question about the legs.

Did you press the top of the legs together first, before you sow them onto the body? Or did you place them on the body as a circle? It effects the dangly-ness of the feet I assume.

Like to hear from you.
    Marion. (haaksels.nl)

I actually did not press the tops of the legs together first, and it made it look a bit two 1 dimensional. I did not close off the legs at all and sewed them to the body as a circle, but it was maybe a bit of a squashed circle. The dangliness will depend on how much you stuffed the legs. I left the top of the legs pretty loosely stuffed, so even when sewed as a circle, it dangled enough.

20. Kim says

Sooo cute. I asked by 35 yo daughter if my 18 month old granddaughter would like this unicorn and my daughter said, “I want one!” Guess I better make one….or two. :) Thank you for the pattern. Adorable unicorn.

21. laurie kivi says

I am having a hard time trying to figure where to attach the head and the legs exactly.

Can you provide pictures and/or explanation please.

Thanks

Laurie

The body is sewn to the head approximately 3 to 4 rows down from the top of the head piece. How it connects could depend on how stuffed the body piece is – whether it’s loose enough to dangle. The legs are attached symmetrically on the body, just wherever you think it’ll look sort of like a real horse, which was my train of thought while making it. The back legs are not too far back so he can still ‘sit’, and the front legs are right about where the body gets fat so it doesn’t interfere with the head. I’m sorry I don’t have those photos available.

I just died of the unicorn fluffiness Chiwei! This sure is a great huggable gift for my snuggle angel. I’ll get busy with this. Thanks for sharing your crochet pattern. Really appreciate it!

23. debbie says

I love this unicorn a d I’m almost with done with the one I’m making but I’m thinking about these curlie cues. Can you help out with better description on how to do these. Please??? Thank you for sharing this can’t wait till its done!

I’m hoping to put up a post soon about the curlies, but basically, you’re putting 3 stitches in each foundational chain stitch – that’s what makes it curl.

• Sandra Manasco says

I found that with the curlies it’s best to twist each tail as you go. You then can see how it curls. Also you can tighten the tail so that the curls form a tighter curl. Using various size stitches such a sc or hdc really makes a difference. I used the shorter chain tails on top of the others. It really looks good that way.

24. Leena says

I absolutely llove this unicorn! Thank you for such a bright colorful and happy design. I just finished making him for my son today. I had trouble with the assembly. I couldn’t figure out how to make his head sit firmly atop the body. He is very floppy. Should I have stuffed him more firmly? Or attached his head to an open body instead? Any tips you can provide to make him more firm and able to sit independently would be so appreciated! I want to make one for my daughter too!

The floppy-ness is totally up to you. My unicorn sat still for the photos but now likes to flop over on my son’s bed. I stuffed mine so he is a bit wobbly because I find it more squishable :-) Thank you!

25. Deborah says

I absolutely LOVE your unicorn!! So adorable! I haven’t made any amigurumi toys yet, but I would surely enjoy trying! I have 4 small grandchildren who would love your unicorn and a few older ones too! Thank you so much!!! I did make a curly tail though! I explained that in another comment before I saw the unicorn lol they are so cute!

Just LOVE this pattern. Saw it featured on another blogs round-up a while back and been dying to try it. Finally decided to make some for my girls’ Easter gifts… They are so fun to make! I’m changing up the body color for each one (keeping the rainbow mane and tail) and I adore how they’re turning out. Thank you!

27. Sandra says

This is the cutest Thing i´ve ever seen. I´ll definately give it a try. Thanks for the tutorial!
    Greetings from Germany :)

28. Laurie Mears says

These would be cute for baby gifts. Make the tail and mane in blue or pink.
    I am going to try and make one as soon as I finish the 5 afghans I have started.

29. Ochin says

I did make this unicorn. It is adorable. I found that you made Owl. Could you share your pattern? Thanks

30. Cheryl says

For those who are wondering how much yarn to use for the main color, I have some estimates. I used Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn in white. It’s a good sized skein, 7 oz. (199 grams) and 355 yards (325 m). I weighed the remaining yarn (and did some math), and I used 4 ounces (114 grams), or 202 yards (185 m). I do tend to crochet on the tight side for stuffed toys.

31. Jess says

This is SO adorable!
    Quick question: are the pieces worked ‘in the round’ or are they joined after each row? Thank you for creating this adorable pattern!

32. Stephanie says

Thank you for sharing! Very easy to follow, I made 4 this week. If I didn’t run out of stuffing I could’ve made more :)

33. flora says

Loveeeee this!!! Thanks for sharing the pattern. Can u plz tell me the finished height of the unicorn?? Thanks

34. Rachel says

I want one for my little girl!!! But I don’t…well I don’t do anything crafty, do you sell these?

35. Stephany says

No entendí como hacer la cola,alguie me puede ayudar con una respuesta por favor,se los agradecería

Nice work! I’m currently wondering how long it took to finish the stuffed toy itself. Will expect more from you soon and your other works! IT’S SO FLUFFY!

37. Su Webb says

would just like to say, thank you for this beautiful Unicorn pattern. I have just her for my grand daughter and she is beautiful, can’t wait for my grand daughter to see her. I know she will fall in love with the Unicorn.
    Thank you so much.
    Su xx

38. July says

I am in the process of making this unicorn and am VERY new to crocheting (more of a knitter)…after attaching the curly cues using the lark’s knot….what do I do with the tails? Do I weave them into the curly cues? Thanks!

I push them back into the body. Once they’re stuck in the fiberfill, they shouldn’t come out. You can put the tail on an embroider needle and then push the needle all the way through the body, randomly. Take the needle out and the yarn will be left inside. Hope that helps!

39. Moko says

My husband told me an idea for a story about a unicorn that chased monsters out from under the bed, and I just fell in love with the idea. Since our daughter has been born we have told her when she has bad dreams that a unicorn is under the bed chasing away the bad dreams. I’ve told my husband that he needs to write the story down for her and I’ve been looking for a unicorn to put under the bed and haven’t liked any of them. So when I found this pattern I thought I’d make one for her, I’m going to tweak the colors so that it fits into the ocean themed room though. I can’t thank you enough for making patterns available for crochet they are so hard to find sometimes.

40. Marissa says

Thank you so much for posting this! I just finished making the unicorn, and it turned out so well! My little sister loves this! Incredibly cute and cuddly!

Hi ChiWei!

I just used your unicorn pattern and it is soooooooo cute! :)
    I have a question… I would like to ask you, if I may translate your pattern to german, because it is quite difficult for some people to follow instructions in a foreign language.
    Please contact me for further details!
    Thanks in advance!

Hello. Amazingly sweet unicorn you’ve made. I’ve have to try to make one too. I also was wondering if I can could translate your pattern to Norwegian and posting on my blog. If I can I will also then additionally linking to your blog and original pattern.

43. Tess says

I love this unicorn, it’s so darn cute! I’m sure my sister will think so too! I just started on the pattern and I wundered where you got your safety eyes. If it is via a website would you lease give me the link?
    Thanks for sharing btw, you’re too kind!

Thank you! I got my safety eyes at Joann Fabrics. You can find them on Amazon or Etsy as well. I’ve updated the post with a link to my Amazon affliated product.

44. Shawn Martin says

ChiWei – this is absolutely adorable! My 4 year old great niece has already asked Santa for a unicorn, and this would be just perfect! Can you give me the approximate finished dimensions?

45. Rouk says

Thank you, for the lovely pattern. I just made it as a present for a new born niece. I’m sure, she’ll love it as much as I do.

46. Shannon says

I just finished my unicorn, and oh my goodness am I happy with it!! I had to do my tail a little different, and I’m concerned about it holding long term, but I love it!! I’m giving it as a Christmas gift to my niece. Thank you so much for the easy-to-read FREE pattern.

47. Alexandra says

I noticed you didn’t specify the yarn weight (at least not that I have seen). I assume it was made with worsted weight, number 4. Although after I did a swatch using the hook size 5 and #4 yarn, I found that my swatch was too holey. I’m curious as to what yarn weight you used and how yours turned out? Like we’re your stitches nice and tight with small holes?
    Thank you so much for this absolutely fantastic pattern too. I’m making it for my 2 year old daughter for a Christmas gift. Although he’s so gosh darn adorable that he may have to come have sleepovers in my bed too!

48. Lesa says

LOVE this! My daughter is really into unicorns. I may hvae to try my hand at this. I have been crocheting for probably close to 40 years and I’ve never made a stuffed animal before. I will have to learn how to do the decreasing stitch, the sc2tog, one.

49. Grace says

Love this and decided to make it as a gift for a baby shower. However – (what may be a silly) question – Do you “finish” each row, like you would with a granny square? Or just launch into the next round? I found that when I was doing the pink for the head, the start/finish ended up uneven if I didn’t. Wanted to check before I make the rest. Sorry – pretty new crocheter!

• Grace says

Disregard my question! I see you already answered this same question a couple of times :-) Worked the body and it turned out perfectly. Thank you for this pattern!

50. Alexandra says

What weight yarn did you use? I used worsted weight #4 and it turned out much smaller. I also had to go down half a hook size because I found him too holey.
    He is just beautiful though

51. Mishkaah Roberts says

Hi i just wanted to say this was the most amazing pattern Thank you sooo much. I made a slightly smaller version by changing my hook to a 4mm because i was going to give to a very special baby for a christmas prezzie. Thank u very well again

52. Marion says

I am so in love with this unicorn. I have been searching and searching for a LARGE Amigurumi pattern and this is exactly what I have been looking for. Someone posted a picture of their completed unicorn on FB and gave your link. I couldn’t wait to start on this project. The pattern is well written and the photos help so much. PLEASE give us more of these large amigurumi patterns! Thank You for sharing.

53. Sina says

I just love that pattern :) thank you for making that so easy to me. I havent finished it yet but the it looks amazing . Your explanatiin is easy even though english isnt my native language and i only once made a chrochet in my life. My baby Cousin who will be born in febuary will be very happy to receive that HandMade unicorn as a gift :) thank you so much

54. Marie says

Just had to say how adorable this is – learning to crochet is still on my bucket list and hope to someday be able to do a project like this, I just love it, great job!

55. Crystal says

Soo beautiful! Unfortunately I don’t know how to crochet :( I would gladly purchase one! (: I will make a perfect gift for my daughter.

56. Shannon howard says

This is so adorable! You did a wonderful job. I can’t wait to make one for my girls. Thank you for sharing.

57. Francine kulp says

I made this unicorn for my granddaughter for Christmas. It is very easy and it turned out exactly like it should have.

58. Courtney says

Having a bit of trouble. The beginning of the pattern, the nose, I am assuming that there is no joining unless you specifically say so? It makes a spiral if I do so and just making sure that is the desired affect.

• Jordi says

Hey Courtney! I had the same trouble, but Ijust went for it. I just finished my first unicorn, and yeah, you just go on in a spiral. Be sure to count as you go, you’ll see. It’ll turn out beautiful! So no joinging, as written. Good luck and have fun!

59. Deb says

Made this over the weekend, instructions are easy to follow. Enjoyed making this. Used Dk/4mm hook, needed less than 100g white, small amount pink, oddments of other colours.

60. Cathy says

Thank you so much for this pattern!
    A friend of mine saw this pattern before I did and she doesn’t crochet. She and her husband made for their grand daughter a rocking unicorn. She saw this and was large eyed! So yes, of course I’ll make this!!! (It’s for her 1st birthday) I just wanted to so “thank you”!

61. Kay says

Love this little guy so far. I’m trying to attach the head to the body and am wondering approximately how to so this. Maybe how many stitches and if more than one row? I’ve never made a studied animal before so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

62. Veronica says

Hi, I tried to purchase your pattern from Craftsy but you don’t allow purchases outside the US. But alas I am in Australia and would love to make this for my granddaughter. What a shame.

63. Virginia says

Hi- I was just wondering if this pattern in worked in a continuous round ? if so which method did you use to join the yarn?

64. Rebecca Sager says

Love this unicorn and can’t wait to make it! Can you tell me what are the finished unicorn’s dimensions? Particularly, how tall is she? Thanks in advance for your help!

65. Alyssa says

I just had to make one. I did it for my son so I used black for the body, blue for nose, navy for hooves and a mix of leftover blues and greens I had for the hair. Also added wings to make him more special.

66. Petra says

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I just finished making my unicorn, and I think I will make another one, because it is so cute! :)

67. Phoebe says

Hi!! I love this and I’m currently tryouts my to work it up! I have some questions!!
    1. For the magic circle, should I ch 1 and then do 6sc or would the chain count as 1st sc or do I not ch at all?
    2. Is this worked in a continuous round or should I sl St and ch 1 at the end of each round?
    3. Round 15, is it 2 total sc2tog or is it just one in the sequence?
    I hope you or someone else can answer these for me.
    Sorry for so many questions
    Phoebe

68. Heidi says

Hello I am going to attempt this unicorn as before this my first toy was a miniature make from one of my magazines and wow it’s fiddly, so this time I wanted to do something bigger. It looks adorable. Could anyone help me with wool and hook size? I’m assuming this is American so the stitches are different also? But what weight wool, is DK ok? and what size hook (uk) ? Thankyou :)

69. Katie says

I first made this unicorn for a friend’s baby shower and I’ve had many requests from other friends to make it for them too! (I think I’m up to about number 5 unicorn now :oD) it’s sooooo easy to make and looks gorgeous in any colour! Thank you for this pattern!

70. Katie says

Ok, I’ve read through all the comments, and I think am I the only one having a problem with the pattern! I’m fairly new at crocheting and I’m still getting the hang of reading patterns. I did the nose/head all the way to the point of adding the eyes, but my stitches had big gaps and it looked a bit holey! So I thought maybe I missed something, or was too loose and started over. I’m counting stitches as I go, but always ending up with too many stitches! Round 4 I always end with 36 instead of 24. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong here?

71. Dare says

Hi–I love this pattern! I’m in the process of making 2 for a friends grand daughters. May have to make one for myself when I’m done.
    I have a quick question. You’ve said you’ve done everything in one spiral, did you have a “jag” when you changed colours? If not how did you do it so you didn’t? I like that it’s one big spiral, I’m not a fan of the slip stitch-chain 1 rounds.

Thanks!

Yup, there’s a tradeoff. The spiral is great, but it does leave a jog at the join. I tried to hide that on the underside of the head and legs.

I love this. I just posted my finished product on my blog, with a link back to your blog for the pattern!! It’s super cute, but I believe that the next one I make, because one just isn’t enough, will have longer strands for the mane. Super easy pattern to read.

I think this has to be the cutest amigurumi I’ve ever seen. The 8 year old, unicorn collector in me is squealing in delight!

I included it in a post I did with my favorite rainbow crafts, DIY projects and recipes! I’d love for you to take a peek and share if you think you’re audience would be interested in it.

Best Wishes,

Crystal

74. AJ says

Pity your crafty pattern isn’t available to non-US residents (i.e. the rest of the world) – especially a downloadable pdf. Ah well, lots of other patterns still out from more accessible, less zenophobic Craftsy vendors.

Hi! Please don’t jump to conclusions about xenophobia until you’ve read the entire listing. On the Craftsy description, I included a link to my Etsy page, where you can find the same listing made available to international buyers. Certain platforms have tax restrictions which is why I sell on multiple platforms to make it available for everyone. If the listing is sold out on Etsy, just contact me and I can upload it again. Thanks!

75. Liz Holyomes says

Oh dear Lord, this is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!!!!!! I’ve started making it and I’m loving it. Thank you for sharing xx

76. Kelly says

I love this unicorn and have already made one previously for a friend’s daughter. A coworker of mine has asked if I could make her one as part of a baby shower gift. So onto round two! I do have a question however. I am new to amigurumis and was wondering if your finished product is inside out — meaning the stitch lines are on the inside rather than the outside? I think that’s what it appears to be in the photos but I wanted to double check. It seems like when I keep the stitch side facing out, the fabric seems a little boxy but when I turn it inside out it seems to blend nicely. Thank you!!

77. Sweech says

I just finished making a unicorn for a dear friend, following your pattern! I am sure she will love the design… Thank you so much for sharing!!!

78. Rebecca Woods says

I Just finished 3 sister unicorns for my two daughters and a friend’s grand-daughter. My daughters loved picking out the colors for their oun fluffy unicorn. Thank you so very much for this wonderful pattern! My girls are over the moon in love with their unicorns!

79. Lindsay says

I’m also trying to buy the yarn for this project and wondering how much to get.. I’m buying fluffy yarn so it is as soft as possible and really “So fluffy I’m gonna die!” 😉

I started with a pound of white yarn, so I don’t have exact yardages. But I’d probably get 1 or 2 skeins of white, depending on the brand and the yardage in a skein.

80. Joanne says

I am trying to purchase this pattern through craftsy but it won’t allow me as I live in Canada. Is there anyway else I can get this pattern? I need it in large text & on paper for my mom to make it for me. Thanks.

81. Nicole says

I am having the most difficult time trying to figure out where to attach the head to the body! Is there a closer look at this?? Or does someone else have advice please?

82. Taylor Robertson says

Love this cute little guy! I am going to be giving this a try for my daughter. Just started to crochet not to long ago. You should do a video of step by step. I learn better with watching a video instead of reading instructions. I like to watch and then do.

83. Patty says

I just finished making a baby blanket as a gift for an upcoming arrival and thought this would be a perfect gift for the older sister! They seem so left out. So I purchased the pattern through craftsy and will be making it very soon. I know my great niece will love it! Thanks for a cute as a button animal.

84. Pam Varouxis says

I love this Unicorn! I am interested in purchasing one possibly one or two. I do have a question for you. My niece is expecting and her is due date is late October/November. She and her husband want to be surprised and dont wsnt to know the sex of the babt. So here is my delema what generic colors would you pick. I love the pink but s g e could have a boy. Would it be possibe to habe the feet of the unicorndone in a rainbow motif?

Thanks in advance

Pam

85. Carla says

Hey did this pattern have more to it because mine was a little off. The image is really nice the stuffie looks huge even its feet but mine not so much. The amount of pink in the photo looks more than how much the pink is shown with the pattern provided.

86. Anthessa says

Ive tried basic crochet way way back and seeing this makes me wanna learn it again! Want to make this as part of may little girl’s birthday! We want a unicorn themed party. Hoping 2 months were enough to make this fluffy unicorn!