Basketweave Cup Cozy Crochet Pattern with #MyFavoriteBloggers

It’s theme month time with #MyFavoriteBloggers!  This month, we’re bringing you a collection of homemade Gifts Under $20, just in time for the holidays.  “Just in time” is a good thing too, since this is quite the group and you’re going to need some time to make all the fun projects we’ve got for you, starting with this Basketweave Cup Cozy!

Coffee Cup Cozy. Free basketweave crochet pattern. www.1dogwoof.com

The other day, I woke up (somewhat) to find my husband asking me if he could take one of my mug cozies from the stash in the attic.  He had bought one of those semi-non-disposable cups from Starbucks and wanted a cozy for it since those cardboard ones don’t really last.  I was a bit surprised to find that he wanted a cozy in the first place, but I told him where they were and went back to sleep.  (LM was still sleeping, and well, I sleep when the baby does!)  Then he came home from work and said that his colleagues wanted some too, and were willing to pay, but only if they were in manly colors, like gray and black.  Hmm, ok, then.

On the other side of things, in bloggy land, some readers told me that the pattern for my mug cozies was no longer available for purchase, and can I please provide the pattern?  Since I bought the original pattern, it’s not my intellectual property, so no, I can’t publish it, but I can make up my own.  So, between the requests from my husband’s work friends and requests from my readers, I figured it’s high time for me to sit down and generate my own pattern already!

Coffee Anyone?

This pattern uses a basketweave pattern, and it’s made to fit around a Starbucks cup.  I don’t drink Starbucks, but I’m told all their cups are the same in diameter, so this cozy should fit any of them.  You can always modify this pattern to be wider if you need it to fit a larger cup.  The pattern below assumes you know the concept of the basketweave, using Front Post DCs and Back Post DCs.  If you need to learn a general basketweave stitch, check out this video before continuing.

Free crochet pattern for basketweave cup cozy

Basketweave Cup Cozy

Supplies:

Worsted weight yarn.  I would recommend a thinner worsted weight yarn since this pattern works up pretty thick.
G hook
Button
Scissors, tapestry needle

Abbreviations:

FPDC : front post double crochet stitch
BPDC: back post double crochet stitch
SC: single crochet
DC: double crochet

Row 0: Chain 36.

Row 1: Starting with the 3rd chain from hook, DC in each chain across – 33 DCs. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 2: *2 FPDC, followed by 2 BPDC.* Repeat from * to * 7 more times. 1 SC in the next chain to secure the row. Chain 9. Turn.

Row 3: Work 1 SC in each of the next 9 stitches, starting with the 2nd chain from hook. *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain to secure the row. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 4: *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Work 1 SC into each of the next 3 stitches. Chain 3. Skip next 3 stitches then work 1 SC into each of the next 2 stitches. Chain 1. Turn.

Row 5: 1 SC in each of the next 9 stitches. *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 6: *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 7: *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch to secure last row.

Edging:

Round 1: Work 1 SC in the same stitch as the last SC. Continue to work 1 SC in each stitch around the piece, but work 2 SC into the same stitch on corners.

Round 2: Work 1 slip stitch in each stitch around.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Finishing:

Add a button between the first set of *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* and the second set of *FPDC, 2 BPDC* on row 4.  Fasten off and weave in ends.  (Make sure the button faces the obvious front of the piece)

#MyFavoriteBloggers!

Now, meet my lovely favorite blogger ladies and their fantabulous Gifts Under $20 projects!  Talk about one-stop shopping, or rather, one-stop crafting?  One-stop DIY’ing?  You get the picture.

MFB Nov 2013

MFB $20 gifts

Want more crochet patterns?  I’ve got a few more quick and easy projects for you to whip up – think stocking stuffers!  Take a look here for some fun ideas!

owl_pouch-2-2 Owl Pouch

Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet Beaded Friendship Bracel

Flower Coasters Flower Coasters

Get updates by email!

If you're new here or enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing by email to receive updates in your email inbox.

Comments

Trust me, he’s not interested in most of my crafts :-) But coffee is important! I also love the basketweave look; I think that and herringbone are my favorite looks. I might have to figure out a herringbone version now that I’m thinking about it!

1. Jessica says

What kind of yarn did you use for the cozy pictured? What’s your favorite for these types of projects? I love this! Thank you for the pattern!

Hi Jessica! For these home use (non-clothing) projects, I like using Lily’s Sugar n’ Cream Cotton yarn. I find them at Michaels and when they’re on sale for $1.25 each, I go a little nuts. Which means I have quite the rainbow stash at home :-).

Thanks Marilyn! It’s not the easiest pattern to understand, but it’s fun once you get started, and works up faster than the single crochet stitch. Plus, you can make the basket weave any size, so it’s great for all sorts of big and small projects – blankets, heat pads…now I’m itching to start something else!

Thank you Brittany! I also love me some practical crochet! I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream Cotton yarn for this project, and for most other non-wearable stuff.

Hey Tara, thanks! The button is actually from an Etsy shop called Wearhouse Industries – they make custom wooden buttons. I didn’t know about PYP back then :-)

Hi I love your cup cozy especially with the button with your logo on it! I love crocheting & your cup cozy is adorable! I saw it on a night owl party. Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

Nikki, Yes, good catch! I’ve updated the directions. It is 1 full row of double crochets, starting from the 3rd chain from the hook, for a total of 33 double crochets, followed by a Ch 2, then turn. Thanks so much!

Thanks Kadie! I also have a list of things I’ve been meaning to do, and they all revolve around the sewing machine. But why sit in a cold attic when I can crochet next to a warm fire? :-)

3. Vikki says

I’m a nurse at a local children’s hospital. I have a twelve year old patient who would like these for her family and friends for a special valentines gift. We need 30 to 40! She’s actively dying. I have been watching videos and trying for three days to get this and well its just not working I’ve never crocheted before. I didn’t promise her by no means but it would be nice to help fulfill her wish. She wanted a cute elephant lol Is there a website that sells them reasonable. I did buy 20 Starbucks cups and will get the rest next week since they were sold out, IS there anyone willing to decrease the price on some of them or do some for free out of the kindness of you heart? My e-mail is [email protected] We are running out of time and she wanted to make little crocheted hearts to sew on them, Please contact me if you can help. Thank you for taking the time to read the post. Even if you can help by doing a few it would mean so very much to her, Thank you and God Bless :)

4. Barb Taylor says

I love the idea of a cozy for my Starbucks coffee cup. but I’m lost, Row 2 ends with chaining 9 then turning? Then row 3 says to sc in the next 9 stitches,(do you mean chains?) then 2 BPDC ,2 FPDC 8 times,(but where? in the sc or the previous rows stitches?). I am NOT criticizing your work, I want to make this and i can’t figure out how. Please help. I’m not a designer, just an experienced beginner in crochet. Thank you

Hi Barb! So, yes, the 9 chains are to make the buttonhole piece, so in Row 2, you want to chain 9. When you turn, you’re working single crochets into those 9 chains. Then when you get to the body of the cozy, you start up again with the back post and front post DC for the basketweave look. You’ll basketweave your way down row 3, and then again up row 4, and then work on the buttonhole piece again. Does that make sense? Feel free to email me if you need more help!

I dont understand row 4 . *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Work 1 SC into each of the next 3 stitches. Chain 3. Skip next 3 stitches then work 1 SC into each of the next 2 stitches. Chain 1. Turn.
        How can I work 2 SC into the next 3 stiches and then chain 3 when i dont anything left to work with?

5. julianne says

Hi! I love this pattern! I was wondering if i am allowed to sell any products that i make, all going to charity. If i can i will definetly credit the pattern to you! If not that is ok. Thank you:)

Yup, you’re welcome to sell finished products, as long as you link back to this post. Thanks so much! You can also share a picture of your finished cozy on my Facebook page if you’d like!

6. Christina says

Hi there :)

I’m feeling really silly right now because for the life of me i cant figure out if I’m just crazy or missing something. I’m still relatively new to crochet, so bare with me :) I go to chain 36 like you say but when I go to do the first row of DC’s in the 3rd chain from the hook, I end up with 34 DC total (35 if you count the chain two) What am i missing/ doing wrong??? Again I just feel so silly that I cannot even get through the first row.

Hey Christina, that might actually be a typo on my part. I’d say just continue the first row and see if the second one is able to complete. I will try to recreate this if I get some time this weekend.

• Elizabeth says

Hi there! I am also still confused on this ch 36, dc 3rd chain from hook. I end up with 34, not 33. Please help us :) also I tried just crocheted in 4th ch from hook, but as I go on in the pattern I end up not having the ch st to sc in to secure the rows at the end of rows 3, 5 and 7.

Thanks for your help!

7. Yasmin says

Hi! I followed your suggestion on using a thinner worsted weight yarn but my finished product is only 8 inches long (including button up part) and width is less than 2 inches, using a G hook. May I know the gauge for this pattern? Thanks!

8. Mairim says

This looks awesome! Would you happen to have a video tutorial? I have a hard time with written directions and do much better visually.

So sorry, but I don’t have a video. To be honest, I have a thing with the sound of my voice, so videos make me nervous :-) But, the basketweave stitch is a fairly common stitch and you can find tutorials for the stitch itself on YouTube. Hope that helps!

9. connie says

Where do you buy buttons like the ones you used with a custom name on them? I want to try selling them (don’t worry I’ll credit you) and the buttons that you used are adorable!

What a cute mug cozy!! I am a beginner at crocheting and I wanted to make your pattern for a friend.. I’m only on row 3 and confused lol I successfully got through row 2 and turned.. do you stop half way through row 3 to chain 9? After you sc down the 9 do you continue row 3? Please help! Thank you

When you are finished with row 2, continue and chain 9 – this is the beginning of the tab. Then you turn after the ch 9, work the single crochets, and then continue with row 3. Hope that helps!

• Lori says

pattern designers cannot designate what you do with items you make from their patterns. I am a pattern tester and we have discussed that at length. That’s why big companies like simplicity and butterick, etc don’t even copyright theirs. Once they sell a pattern what you do with the items you make and crochet designers who try to limit what you do with their patterns are wasting their time. They can’t even require you to name them as the designer although they tend to try

Yes, we do try to ask for credit where it’s due, since we put a lot of work into the design. Yes, you can sell what you make, but you cannot sell the pattern. Since this is a free pattern, and I’m not making an income off selling the pattern, I’d really appreciate a user naming me as the designer so others can find my work.

I just have to say that I think this is the best crochet pattern I’ve ever tried! Such a high quality and fits perfectly! So glad I found it! Thank you!

12. Beverly Dycus says

I can’t understand where the little strap starts – I’m thinking it is the first 9 chains but I know there is a button hole there somewhere. I’m fairly new at this crochet thing but I really love the little mug cozy (pictured) and would love to make one.

13. margaret says

I love your pattern, and I have hound that if you make it twice as wide with two straps it holds crochet hooks quite nicely

14. dreaminyarn says

Hi, I love this! but for the mug I use daily, it’s too short…if I want to make this larger what is the multiple used for the starting chain? My guess is 6…but my other guess is that it doesn’t matter.

hope to hear back!