I hope all of you enjoyed Shelby’s tips on how to prep kiwi and apples for a fruit salad. Today I am going to show you how I cut up a pineapple for a quick and easy snack!
We eat a lot of fruit in our house, since J seems to be a fruitarian. He’s not a huge fan of vegetables but does eat them, for which I should be eternally grateful. But given the choice, he’d rather have Milano cookies and pineapple for dinner (who wouldn’t?!) Since it’s summer, we really do have a lot of variety of fruits to choose from – local farm strawberries, peaches, pears, apples, even the occasional shipped in lychees! But J has now learned to say “apple”, by which he means pineapple, and I’m too much of a softy to deny him, since it’s more healthy than say, a bowl of goldfish crackers.
So, imagine me, wielding a large 8″ chef knife, trying to position a tripod and camera in my too-dark kitchen, with a screaming toddler pulling on my pant leg, showing you all how I prep pineapple.
1. Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple with a large knife.
2. Now, slice off the prickly skin, following the curve of the pineapple as you go. I try not to slice off too much, because you can always go back and shave off the little brown holes later. This way, you keep as much of the fruit as possible.
3. Cut the pineapple in half, lengthwise, then cut each half in half so you get quarters of pineapple, all lengthwise. Then you can cut off the “corner” of each quarter, which would have been the hard center of the pineapple.
4. Once the center has been removed, you can now cut each quarter of the pineapple into halves or thirds, lengthwise, depending on what size you want your chunks to be. Then put the long piece flat on your cutting board, and slice and dice into your desired hunks!
5. Repeat for each quarter section of the pineapple. Basically, you’ve cut your pineapple lengthwise into 8ths or 12ths before slicing crosswise. Now you’ve got yourself a big bowl of pineapple for fruit salad or just for munching!
Want to see more great cooking tips? Check out this post!