I’m not a big baker, usually, but like I said when I made my Cherry Cobbler, apparently I”m a a little weird and like to bake when it’s humid and hot outside. And since it’s both blueberry season and we’re picking up tons of zucchini from the farm, why not make a little Blueberry Zucchini bread for an easy breakfast or snack or dessert, or heck, even dinner? Yup, dinner. Dinner for picky little eaters who pick up a lettuce leaf with distaste and say “eww, salad”.
I was inspired by a recipe on AllRecipes.com, but because I never bake, and knowing I might have to serve it up as a possible meal, I did make some changes. So here’s my variation of an “I can easily convince myself it’s healthy” Blueberry Zucchini Bread. Know why? It has more zucchini in it than sugar. Yeah! So with the zucchini and the blueberries and the whole wheat flour, feel free to indulge without guilt!
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 c shredded zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 1 c white sugar
- 1 c brown sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 c applesauce
- 3 c whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and shred the zucchini. Uses about 4 medium-sized zucchini. Make sure to drain the extra liquid from the shredded zucchini before using. Set aside.
- Add eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, oil and applesauce in a large bowl and mix together.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Beat in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Evenly distribute the batter into 2 lightly greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting.