Flower Coasters Pattern

Do you crochet?  Or do you want to learn how to crochet?  Well, stay tuned because in a few short weeks, I’ll be having my very first Crochet-Along right here on this little ol’ blog!  We’ll be choosing a project to work on together and going through the pattern with lots of pictures and lessons on the basics.  I’ve also teamed up with a few of my favorite crocheting friends to help answer any questions you may have, and offer some awesome prizes to those who participate.  Excited yet?  The crochet along will start at the beginning of February, so keep in touch and you won’t miss the fun!

Flower Coasters Pattern | One Dog Woof | #freepattern

Now onto the pattern!  These little flower coasters are perfect under a pint glass (with beer? rootbeer?) or under a mug, perhaps matched up with a mug cozy for a quick gift.  Or switch it up, and use it as a facial scrubber.  By the way, this will be one of the patterns up for the Crochet-Along pattern vote, so take a look and enjoy!  I’m pretty new to writing patterns, so let me know if there’s anything that is difficult to understand.

Flower Coasters Pattern | One Dog Woof | #freepattern

If you’d like to sell items from this pattern or share it with your friends, I just ask that you give credit back to One Dog Woof.  Please do not repost or re-distribute the pattern in its entirety.  Thanks!

What you’ll need:

G size (4.25 mm) crochet hook
1 ball Sugar n’ Cream cotton yarn
stitch marker
yarn needle

Abbreviations:

sc = single crochet
sl st = slip stitch
Mark the end of each round with the stitch marker, since the pattern is worked in a continuous spiral.

Round 1: Start with a magic ring.  Work 6 sc into the ring.

Round 2:   Work 2 sc in each sc of previous round.  (12 sc)

Round 3:   Repeat *sc in next sc. 2 sc in next sc* around. Do not join. (18 sc)

Round 4:   Repeat *sc in each of the next 2 sc. 2 sc in next sc* around (24 sc)

Round 5:   Repeat *sc in each of the next 3 sc. 2 sc in next sc* around (30 sc)

Round 6:   Repeat *sc in each of the next 4 sc. 2 sc in next sc* around (36 sc)

Round 7:   Skip 1 sc. *sl st in next sc. skip 1 sc. 5 dc in next sc. skip 1 sc* around.  Join with a sl st to the last stitch of previous round.  Fasten off and weave in ends.

Flower Coasters Pattern | One Dog Woof | #freepattern

Get updates by email!

If you're new here or enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing by email to receive updates in your email inbox.

Comments

I learned how to crochet right before Christmas, so I’m still a newbie and looking forward to the Crochet-Along!! I think this pattern would be awesome as face scrubbies, like you mentioned, and I plan on doing just that as soon as I find cotton yarn.

These are lovely – I really like the colours you used. Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid – is this pattern in UK or US terms? I’m new to this crochet malarkey!

Love these! I made coasters with some leftover yarn but they aren’t as cute as these!! Found you over @ Southern Lovely.

Happy Wednesday!
    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

Good Evening ChiWei, It is a many years since I crocheted, but you have peeked my interest with these lovely coasters. They are perfect for lazy summer days, when relaxing in the garden with a cold drink. I have enjoyed reading your blog and have become your newest follower. Sending you best wishes from England, Daphne

These are super cute. I’ll be pinning this. I enjoyed my visit today & if you would ever like to link up I have a weekly link party @ DearCreatives.com come join in sometime or just visit.

Hi again, sorry I just read your disclaimer I won’t pin this unless that is ok with you. Just let me know.(it would have a link back to your post in pin) Thanks

7. Peg says

Hi, I pinned this after finding it on pinterest already. I pinned from your blog though. I like the coasters a lot!

8. eva says

How can I make these flower coaster leaving a hole in middle of each to put on a wooden dowel spindle?
    THANKS ahead to anyone that can help. I’m rather new to crocheting.

9. Cheryl Johnson says

I have really wanted to learn how to make these flowers. Is it harder to make them smaller? Can’t wait for your crochet lessons. Thanks.

Cheryl, to make them smaller, you’d have to use a smaller hook and thinner yarn, I think. And as the project gets smaller, it just gets harder to see the stitches!

I just started crocheting again after about 25 years,kinda had to start over,liked your pattern ,I think they are really cute, and could follow it nicely ,thanks

11. Nancy says

Made a ripple blanket. Saw your flower coasters and thought it would be great to make a set of coasters to match the blanket.. I followed the directions but somehow keep ending up with 8 petals instead of 9. What am I doing wrong? Would appreciate your input. Thanks

I can’t say without seeing it, but you can count your stitches after every round and see if that helps. I do that a lot when I think I’m doing something wrong but can’t figure it out. Plus, then I don’t have to rip out the whole project if I check every little step along the way.

• Nancy says

You were right. My counting was off. Once I figured it out it fell in place. My niece and her fiancee loved the set of coasters! Thanks

12. Donna says

These are adorable! I have a general question, though… Every time I try to make a coaster or doily, the coaster curls and the doily ends up with waves. Can you please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

You might be adding in too many stitches. Just make sure to count your way through. If it still buckles, you may need to wet it down and block dry it to flatten. Or put it under a big book :-)

13. Mary says

I’ve made two of these and they look very nice but I am wondering why I end up with ten petals instead of nine. I am counting my stitches after each round.