It’s a horse, not a cow. I’ve had to say that to a few people who saw it, so I’m just making it clear. It’s a horse, because in the Chinese Zodiac, horse comes after snake. It’s the Zoodiacs Horse c2c crochet graph. Originally, I really thought there were horses with gold manes, and I thought they were Palominos, but after a quick check with the Googles, I was wrong. Palomino horses have gold bodies with white manes, so mine here is, well, a figment of my imagination. He’ll fit right in with the Dragon then…
The Horse is 1 out of 12 Zoodiacs graphs I’m sharing, depicting animals from the Chinese Zodiac, of which my family are big fans. It’s always fun to figure out what animal you are linked to, and do you have those same characteristics?
J hook (CloverUSA Amour Hooks*)
Red Heart Super Saver in Cafe Latte
Michaels Loops and Threads Impeccables in Heather
Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Mustard, Black
A few notes:
- I made my squares using C2C (corner to corner) crochet. Using an I hook, I got squares around 18 inches wide, but my gauge did vary a bit. You can use C2C crochet, or make a single crochet graphghan, totally up to you.
- The colors I chose were based on the final blanket design. You can obviously switch things around, but I do list the yarns I used below.
- I re-used the same yarns for multiple squares so the blanket has some color consistency. Using a combination of mostly Lion Brand Vanna's Choice and Michaels Loops and Threads, I found I could get a diverse color palette and consistent yarn feel, with no one skein jumping out in either hue, vibrancy or feel.
- I always have 2 skeins of the background color on hand. It made it easier to work the C2C running two skeins at the same time.
- To finish the square, work 1 round of sc around the square. I worked 3 sc into each "tile" of the c2c, and a ch 2 in the corners, then slip stitching into the first sc. (69 sc + ch 2) * 4 sides. This also makes it easier to join the squares later.
Zoodiacs Horse C2C Graph
If you missed a Zoodiacs post, you can always find all of the graphs available on my Zoodiacs page. I’ll be adding new animals there, as well as fleshing out different ideas related to the Zoodiacs.