Warm and Toasty – Crochet Mug Cozies

by | Crochet

UPDATE: You can purchase the pattern here, or try this free pattern of my own to make a basketweave cup cozy!

I’ve been crocheting almost every night, and I finally have some pictures to show what I’ve been up to – mug cozies!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

(Here’s my “mug cozy turkey”, cause you know, Thanksgiving is comin’ up!)

I don’t drink name brand coffees in the disposable cups (I don’t drink coffee at all), so the little coffee cup cozies are not much use for me, but mug cozies are great!  I do drink tea, and hot chocolate and even soup in ceramic mugs, and I hate having to hold the mug only by the handle, don’t you?  And that ceramic sure gets hot in a hurry!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

These mug cozies are cute and colorful and pretty easy to work up.  I used a pattern from Ollies Boutique on Ravelry; her directions are easy to understand and the cozies have a great nubby texture to them.  The cozies are worked up in Sugar n’ Cream cotton yarn, and boy did I go a little hog wild when Michaels had a yarn sale.  I got the personalized buttons from WearhouseIndustries, and altered the mug cozy pattern slightly in order to crochet the buttons directly into the piece instead of adding it at the end.

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

I’m making a bunch of these for my 2nd craft fair coming up (see my first one here), so I hope they sell!  If not, they’ll be going up in my Etsy shop.  I think they’re great for stuffing some stockings or for teacher’s gifts, or maybe I’ll just keep some for myself!

Crocheted Mug Cozies | One Dog Woof | #crochet #giftidea #Christmas

Do you use mug cozies?  What are your favorite colors, or, which colors should I make more of?

1. Helen Graham

super cute!! Love the bright colours!! thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Diane

love these too! and super cute little buttons! where did you get those?
    Diane
    Treasuring grace

3. Jocie@TheBetterHalf

These are so cute. I wish I could crochet! what great gifts they will make!

We just got our link party up and running and would love if you came and joined in on the fun. Each week we are giving away free ad space for one week to one random party goer. Our main site gets thousands of hits per day and The Better Half gets thousands per week. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-6/

4. The Bean Sprout Notes

My absolute favorite part is your adorable custom button! Love it 🙂

p.s. thanks for sharing your “faith” post yesterday.

5. Ruth

These are great. I love the colors you’ve chosen. These will make perfect gifts.
    Ruth

6. Jerri Rivers

Oh my goodness! These are adorable! These would make great stocking stuffers!

7. Trish - Mom On Timeout

These are so cute! Perfect little stocking stuffers for Christmas. Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

8. OLS

Adorable and they look super easy! Would love a tutorial?

• Chiwei @ One Dog Woof

I can’t provide a tutorial because this is a pattern that I purchased. I did give links to where I bought the pattern though, and it’s great!

• Darcie

I tried following the link for the pattern and it didn’t work. Great job on your copies! Love the buttons!

9. Sarah

These are so cute! I love all the fun bright colors.

10. kluckingbear

Those are just wonderful and I love your name button!

11. Sarit Bronstein

Wow these are adorable! love the colors
    I must learn how to do them !!
    I pinned them to my DIY board.

12. Kathy

Please provide the pattern link to purchase! Adorable!

13. Elizabeth

Hi there!

I just LOVE these!! I was curious if you could let me know what size button you used for these? I’d love to order some from the etsy link you provided to add to the cozy. They offer multiple sizes and I don’t know which I should order. Please let me know! Thank you 🙂

I think mine were 1 inch wide.

14. Sarah

I hope someone sees this and can advise me. I would have made mug cozies instinctively of cotton yarn. A friend, though, says it’s better to use acrylic or wool. Which is ‘right’? Need to get started! ?

I think it’s totally up to you!