Crochet Owl Pouch with Pattern

by | Accessories, All Designs, Crochet, Free Patterns, Kids & Toys

One Dog Woof: Crochet Owl Pouch. Free Pattern!

Owls are all the rage right now, flying all over Pinterest like that scene from Harry Potter where they land on every available space in the yard.  Well, I wanted to get in on it, but still do something a little different, so here’s my contribution to the owl trend – my very own crocheted owl pouch.

These pocket darlings can be made in a variety of colors and patterns and can hold any little thing your heart desires.  This is a free pattern, so feel free to sell your finished creations.  However, please do not sell or distribute the pattern in any way, and if you can, link back to this post in your listing so your clients know where you got your inspiration!  Thanks!

Crochet Owl Pouch | One Dog Woof | #freepattern

Owl Pouch

Cotton or Worsted Weight yarn
G size hook
tapestry needle, scissors
small button
9mm animal eyes

Note: This is not crocheted in a spiral; it is crocheted in individual rounds.  Joining rounds normally gives a moving seam, so I chose to join my rounds using the No-Cut Join method as described by Planet June for a straight seam.  The instructions here will include a short description, but head over to Planet June to see a full tutorial and videos on this joining method.

The instructions below are to create the owl shown above.

BODY

Round 1: Start with a magic circle.  Work 6 SC into ring and join. (6 stitches)

Round 2: CH 1.  Work 2 SC into each stitch.  Joining: Remove hook from last SC.  Insert hook into first SC from back to front.  Add loop from the last stitch onto the hook and pull through tightly.  (12 stitches)

Round 3: CH 1.  Work 1 SC into current stitch (the one where you joined), then 2 SC into next stitch.  *Work 1 SC into next stitch, followed by 2 SC in next stitch* around.  Repeat no-cut joining method. (18 stitches)

Round 4: CH 1. Work 1 SC into current stitch, and 1 SC into next stitch.  Then work 2 SC into next stitch.  *Work  1 SC into each of next 2 stitches, followed by 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join. (24 stitches)

Round 5: CH 1. Work 1 SC into current stitch, and 1 SC into next 2 stitches.  Then work 2 SC into next stitch.  *Work 1 SC into each of next 3 stitches, followed by 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join. (30 stitches)

Round 6: CH 1. Work 1 SC into each of 30 stitches around, starting with the current stitch (where you joined the previous round). (30 stitches)

At the end of Round 6, change colors to create stripes.  To join new yarn, I used Planet June’s Invisible Join method: after the last stitch, cut yarn leaving a tail, and pull tail through stitch.  Insert hook into the 2nd stitch in the round from back to front under both bars and pull tail through.  Then insert hook into last stitch in round from back to front through only the back loop and pull tail through.  (It’s easier to watch the video.)

Round 7-8: CH 1. Work 1 SC into each of 30 stitches around, starting with the current stitch. (30 stitches). Change yarn color.

Round 9-10: CH 1. Work 1 SC into each of 30 stitches around, starting with the current stitch. (30 stitches). Change yarn color.

Round 11-12: CH 1. Work 1 SC into each of 30 stitches around, starting with the current stitch. (30 stitches). Change yarn color.

Round 13-15: CH 1. Work 1 SC into each of 30 stitches around, starting with the current stitch. (30 stitches).  Join.

Row 16: CH 1. Work 1 SC into next 15 stitches. CH 1. Turn.

Row 17: Starting with the 2nd chain from the hook, SC 2 stitches together (sc2tog). Work 1 SC into each stitch in the row (11 stitches) until there are 2 stitches left.  SC2tog the last two stitches.  CH 1. Turn. (13 stitches)

Row 18: Starting with the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, then work 1 SC into each of next 9 stitches. SC2tog last two stitches. CH 1. Turn. (11 stitches)

Row 19: Starting with the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, then work 1 SC into each of next 7 stitches.  SC2tog last two stitches. CH 1. Turn. (9 stitches)

Row 20: Starting with the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, then work 1 SC into each of next 5 stitches.  SC2tog last two stitches. CH 1. Turn. (7 stitches)

Row 21: Starting with the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, then work 1 SC into each of next 3 stitches.  SC2tog last two stitches. CH 1. Turn. (5 stitches)

Row 22: Starting with the 2nd chain from hook, sc2tog, then work 1 SC into next stitch.  SC2tog last two stitches. Do not turn. (3 stitches).

Border: Work slip stitches down side of flap, around back of pouch opening and back up other side of flap.  Make last slip stitch in the 3rd stitch of Row 22.  CH 5.  Slip stitch into 1st stitch of Row 22.  Fasten off and weave in ends.

EYES (make 2)

Round 1: Start with a magic circle. Work 6 SC into ring.  Join. (6 stitches)

Round 2: CH 1. Work 2 SC into each stitch around.  Join. (12 stitches)

Fasten off with long tail.

Finishing

Push plastic eyes through a point between the 1st and 2nd rows of the eye piece (not through center of circle).  Using the tail and a tapestry needle, attach eyes so that plastic eye is pushed through the body, centered and between Rounds 12 and 13, counting from the bottom.  Push backing of plastic eye on securely.

Attach button to the center of the back of the body between Rounds 11 and 12, counting from the bottom.

Using a tapestry needle, create a beak centered right below the eyes.

Cut strands of leftover yarn and create the tufts using a lark’s knot where the body meets the flap.

One Dog Woof: Crochet Owl Pouch Buddies - Free Pattern!

If you have any questions, leave a comment and I will try to answer them as they come up.  Please look through the comments and see if your question has already been asked.  I’d love to see your creations – leave a link on my Facebook page!

For this project, I used Lily Sugar’n Cream Yarn (affiliate link).  I love this yarn, as you can tell from some of my other projects and patterns!

Free crochet pattern for basketweave cup cozyBasket Weave Coffee Cup Cozy

flower_coaster-4 Flower Coasters

crochet_flower-3 5-Petal Flower

1. Divine Debris

Oh, dear! That’s absolutely adorable. I love it. I’m going to Pin this and follow you on FB!

2. Rose

So cute! Thanks for sharing 🙂 Am going to try one, then try again with smaller hook and thread. That way I can stuff it with a tea bag or something scented to be used on Christmas tree! Thanks again 🙂

Whoa, that’s a great idea! I never thought of using it as a Christmas ornament! You’ll have to share a photo with us!

3. Zelna

These are brilliant!! My niece would love one of these – I am so going to make her one!!

4. rami

can you tell how you made the flap for pouch|?
    rami

Hi Rami,

The flap for the pouch is included in the instructions. You stop crocheting in the round and start crocheting in rows, but crochet 2 stitches together at the beginning and end of each row – this decreases the number of stitches in each row and creates a triangular flap. I hope that helps!

5. Aida F.

OMYGOD these are ADORABLE!! I want to make these for my granddaughters and nieces, thank you for sharing!! 🙂

You’re so welcome Aida! I hope the girls love them!

6. rami

i am still a beginner in crochet so thought of asking before doing this beautiful pouch
    rami

7. Heather

Adorable! I think I’m going to crochet this pattern for my mother-in-law when I’m done with the scarf I’m making. What are the finished dimensions of the pouch? Thanks!

Thanks Heather! Good luck on all your projects! Let’s see, when the owl is finished, it’s about maybe 4 inches wide – you can stuff a gift card in there, but it distorts the shape. If you happen to stuff it with stuffing just to see the shape, it’s about the size of a decent apple – not crab-apple and not one high on antibiotics either. Hope that helps!

• Heather

Thanks! I might make my owl pocket pouch just a wee bit bigger.

8. MeganAnn

I love this pattern, I would love to make one and link back to your blog post with the pattern. Would that be okay?

Thanks,
    Megan

Megan,

I’d love it if you created your own and linked back! Good luck and enjoy!

9. Zoe

i have almost finished my first owl but i’m not sure how to make the loop to fasten it over the button at the back, can you help?

• Zoe

just answered my own question by reading the pattern again *MORE CAREFULLY!* will post on fb when he’s finished!

10. Dianna

He’s soo cute! I love him. I’ve made one but I used 12mm eyes on mine (thats all I had) 🙂 I’m definitely gonna make more for gifts. Thanks for sharing.

You’re so welcome! I think bigger eyes would be totally cute!

11. Leelou

charmin, soooooo cute !! Thanks for sharing this pattern !! Leelou from France

You’re so welcome Leelou! I hope you make lots 🙂

12. Sue

This is so cute, I’ve been looking for something to keep my Bluetooth earpiece in when not in use as have broken a couple and lost my last one!!!!…. Think I’ve just found the solution, Thank you!

That would be an awesome use for this pouch, and it’d fit perfectly! Thanks for stopping by!

13. Carrie

Going to make these to hold a pacifier. So cute!

Seriously, I cannot believe I didn’t think of that! Total genius! It’s the perfect size, and you can add a lanyard or something to attach it to your purse too. Great idea, thanks Carrie!

14. Melanie Deysenroth

Can you tell me what the dimensions of the finished item are? I can’t see them in the directions. These are very cute.

Melanie, the finished pouch is about 4 inches wide. When it’s flat, it can fit a credit card. When it’s round, it’s about the size of an average apple. In the comments, readers have suggested using them for ear buds or pacifiers (See above!)

15. Melanie Deysenroth

Thanks for the info. They are so cute. It looks like I can whip them up in a jiff with scrap yarn, just in time for Christmas to put tiny treasures inside!

16. fariba

This is soooooo pretty. Thank you for lovely pattern ………. 🙂

17. Michelle

Hi there…these little guys are a real hoot to make…easy to work up & just adorable! I noticed someone wanted to know if they could fit a gift card into one…well i ended up making mine with an H hook because I couldnt find my G, & a gift card actually fits perfectly, no distortion at all! just thought I’d share that.
    Thanks for the awesome pattern, I will be making up a bunch of these for craft fair season & gifts!

Oooh, thanks so much Michelle! I guess the larger hook just made it large enough to fit a gift card – great tip!

18. ashley

i need help with the flaps it not doing right i wish you had a video…

I’m sorry I don’t have a video for you, but if you want, you can email me and I can try to help you out!

19. Severine56

Thank you for the tuto ! This owl is so cute ! I made one, it’s on my blog !
    See you soon !