Crochet Fish Scrubbie Washcloths

by | All Designs, Crochet, Free Patterns, Home, Kids & Toys, Summer

On our last date night, Drew and I walked around the “downtown” of the town we’re moving to this fall, you know, to get a feel for our neighborhood. We found this little doodads store that had a bunch of, well, doodads, and all sorts of vintage-y, charming things. I’m sure you know the type of store I mean. The kind you can just wander around in forever, wishing your house (and your wallet) was bigger so you can avail yourself of all the wonderful decor goodies and pretend your home was a magazine model. Anyways, I found the inspiration for my fish scrubbie washcloths there. I made up two designs: this is the shell-stitch one, and you can find the striped fella here.

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths. Wouldn't this make great housewarming gifts? | www.1dogwoof.com

I call them scrubbies, but they can be washcloths or sponges or whatever. I think they’re great for a summer housewarming gift, don’t you? Oh, and they work up pretty quickly. The first one was a doozie to figure out, but the second one took about an hour.

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths | www.1dogwoof.com

If you’d like to print this pattern, you can purchase an inexpensive, ad-free and comment-free printable PDF on Etsy. The PDF includes the full pattern and step-by-step photos. The file will be available for download immediately after payment. Thank you for helping me continue to provide these fun free patterns!

H (5 mm) hook
3 colors Yarnspirations Sugar ‘n Cream cotton yarn (extra scrap for eyes)
scissors
embroidery needle

Abbreviations

sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
ch – chain stitch
hdc2tog – half double crochet 2 stitches together (decreasing stitch)
sc2tog – single crochet 2 stitches together (decreasing stitch)

You can find help for basic stitches in my crochet tutorials section!

Instructions

Round 1. ch 10. Slip stitch in first ch.

Round 2. Ch 1. Work [1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] 2 times. Join to 1st stitch. (12)

Round 3. Ch 1. Work [1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch] 6 times. Join to 1st stitch. (18)

Round 4. Ch 2. Work 1 dc in each stitch around. Join to 1st dc. (18)

Change to color B using the perfect stripes method.

Round 5.  Ch 1. Work [1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] 6 times. Join to 1st stitch. (24)

Round 6. Ch 1. Work [1 sc in each of next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] 6 times. Join to 1st stitch. (30)

Round 7. Ch 1. Work [1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch] 6 times. Join to 1st stitch. (36)

Fasten off using the invisible join.

Change to color C.

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 8. In the 2nd to last stitch of the previous row, work 1 standing sc. *Skip 1 stitch, then work 3 dc in next stitch. Skip 1 stitch, then work 1 sc in next stitch.* Repeat from * 8 times. Skip 1 stitch, then work 3 dc in next stitch. Join to 1st sc and switch to the alternate stripe color using the perfect stripes method.

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 9. Ch 2 in same stitch as the color change. Work 2 dc in same stitch. *Skip 1 stitch, work 1 sc in next stitch. (This should be the middle dc from the previous round). Skip 1 stitch, work 3 dc in next stitch. (This should be the sc from the previous round).* Repeat from * 8 times. Skip 1 stitch, 1 sc in next stitch. Skip 1 stitch, work 1 dc into the same stitch that you worked the first 2 dc of this round. Join to 1st dc.

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 10. Repeat Round 8, except instead of using a standing stitch, switch colors using the perfect stripes method, ch 1, then work 1 sc into the same stitch. This becomes your “standing sc”. Then follow the instructions from Round 8.

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 11. Repeat Round 9.

Round 12-13. Repeat Round 10 and 11.

Round 14-15. Repeat Round 10 and 11.

Round 16. Repeat Round 10.

Round 17. Change colors as before. Ch 2. Work [1 hdc in same stitch, 1 hdc in next stitch, 1 hdc2tog in next stitch] 9 times. Join to 1st stitch. (27)

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 18. Ch 1. Work [1 sc in next stitch, 1 sc2tog in next stitch] 9 times. Join to 1st stitch. (18)

Before you move on to the next step, flip the fish inside out and make sure your loose ends of knotted, fastened off and woven in. This is where you can cut the first shell color and weave it in.

Crochet shell stitch in the round. | www.1dogwoof.com

Round 19. Flatten the round into 2 sides. Ch 1. Work 1 sc in each stitch across, inserting your hook through 4 loops for each stitch. (8)

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths | www.1dogwoof.com

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Row 20. With the tail color, work 1 standing sc in 3rd stitch from the edge, work 1 sc in each of next 3 stitches. Ch 1. (4)

Row 21. Turn. Work 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in each of next 2 stitches, 2 sc in last stitch. Ch 2. (6)

Row 22. Turn. Work 1 dc in first stitch, 1 sc in each of next 4 stitches, 2 dc in last stitch. Ch 2. (8)

Row 23. Turn. Work 2 dc in first stitch, 1 sc in each of next 5 stitches, 2 dc in last stitch. Ch 2. Fasten the ch 2 at the base of the row.

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths | www.1dogwoof.com

The final touch is to add eyes to the fish using a bit of scrap yarn in whatever color you want. I used an embroidery needle and sewed the eyes on, going through both layers of the fish.

For scale (pun intended), each of these washcloths/scrubbies are about the size of my palm, maybe 6 or 7 inches long.

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths | www.1dogwoof.com

Crochet fish scrubbie washcloths | www.1dogwoof.com

——————————————

You might also like some of my other free patterns:

Rainbow Cuddles Unicorn

Frozen Snowman Amigurumi

Little Monster Easter Egg

——————————————

1. Janice

Hi ChiWei
    Love the fish pattern for scrub bites. So cute to put one or two in the children’s Christmas stocking!

2. Janice

ChiWei,
    Would really be extra cute if you could put your hand inside. Perhaps to tail fins!,,,let me know what you think!
    Jan

• Susan H

Make two of them and stitch or sc together from second to the last stripe up around head and back again. You would have to try your hand in it to see where to start for sure. Good idea!

• Wanda

Wouldn’t stitching 2 of them together make it entirely too thick? I think they would take
        too long to dry and make them much easier to get stinky.

3. Brenda

Thank you for sharing. These are beautiful!

4. Cheryl Michels

I tried your fish pattern. I even modified it a little and added one more row of decrease before I flattenen the fish. This way I can continue right into the tail directions with 1 more stitch. I even made my fish using 2 colors and stripes so they would look something like a clown fish. My co-workes thought they were great and they ordered several for their kids or other family members as gifts. I was able to comeplete one fish in about 1 1/2 hours time.

5. Susan H

I love these…I think I will make some and use as a neighbor gift for Christmas with a bottle of dish soap. Thank you for being so creative and sharing!

• Susan H

Just another thought – you could also attach it to a bottle of bath bubbles for kids.

6. Akamatra

These look amazing!!! I am taking the pattern with me at the beach! They are going to be part of my beach crafts this year, yeah!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!
    akamatras.blogspot.com

7. Carol Riffle

Just saw your cute pattern for crochet fish scrubbies, gonna try it, but also thought about trying to make the belly open, with a closer of a button and loop, and make a “booboo” pouch, for little children with a need for cold compress. Just add a snack size plastic bag with a few ice cubes, and little kids would love a little fishy to make their owie better. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Booboo pouches is a great idea! Have fun!

8. Grace Scheffler

Thank you , for the free pattern, I made it and it is so cute and adorable. It’s too cute to be used for washcloth.
    I love it, I will make a few More for gifts . Thank you so much

9. Mary

Thank you so much for such a cute creation. Just finished making one. Your pattern is perfect and very easy to follow. Will be making several of these for the Holiday Season, both for gifts and to offer for sale. Again, Thank you so much.

10. Wanda

I’ve made 3 of these and will make more. I need 7 or so as I plan of putting money in the
    mouth for the grands at Christmas. 🙂 I would really like to try the other pattern though.
    Do you know if/when you might post it?

11. Wanda

Oh, and thank you for the pattern. 🙂

12. Trish

Thank you so much for the pattern – I’m making them look like the fish in my niece’s favorite book! Do you have any idea when you might be posting the pattern for the striped fish? She would love a few done like that as well. Again, thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. Your patterns are so creative and so much fun to work!

13. Dawn

I made a fish with Red Heart Scrubby yarn.
    So cute!! Thank you for the pattern.

14. Reni C

These are so blasted cute! I’m making them for my 3 little grand daughters and really looking forward to adding your Stripey Fish pattern if/when available. Thank you for being so generous with the pattern.

15. Wendy

It would be nice if there was a printable button for those of us who cannot afford to print all 25 pages of this pattern, including comments. This is a wonderful design and you are very generous to share it with us. I don’t mean to sound rude but it is picture heavy and even condensing with the reader program still only saved me 4 pages. And I still got the header and footer of your webpage. Please consider a print friendly button or pdf converter.

Thanks for your feedback Wendy, but I have no plans to change how I offer my free patterns. As you can guess, providing all those photos require a lot of work, and my readers appreciate the extra details. I went to print this particular pattern and was able to choose to print only pages 3-8 to capture the pattern itself, along with a few photos and no comments, header or footer, which amounts to 6 pages total.

16. Arena

Thank you for a wonderful pattern, my friends have just got their own place and I think these will make a lovely housewarming gift!

17. Linda DeHart

Have you published the other fish pattern yet. I love the shell fish pattern. I have made twenty of them for Christmas Presents. So Cute

18. Regina Montgomery

These are so pretty they could make awesome wall art for my grandson.

19. Chely

Hermosos,muy encantadores. Gracias. Saludos desde México

20. Helen Poelman

How do I get a BRIEF but complete pattern for the fish scrubbies? I don’t want to print out several pages and the comments in order to get just the pattern! Love you creative ideas however, so please help.