Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet

by | Accessories, All Designs, Crochet, DIY, Free Patterns

Whether you’re looking for last minute gifts, or just want a quick craft for party favors, this crochet beaded friendship bracelet is sure to hit the mark!  You can use any color embroidery thread or thin yarn, and any style beads to create endless possibilities. Use letter beads to spell out names and phrases on these fun fashion accessories!

beaded friendship bracelet

These light, elegant bracelets use size 6 glass seed beads crocheted onto DMC embroidery thread. You can also use lace or fingering weight yarns or crochet thread as the base. Larger size alphabet beads may need a slightly thicker, like a sport or DK weight yarn. You can play around with different types of yarns and beads to get the combination you like!

The crochet bracelet uses only chain stitches and slip stitches. When working with slip stitches, make sure to keep your stitches very loose. We all have a tendency to tighten the slip stitch as we work the next stitch, so you’ll need to be aware of the tension as you work.

The instructions below use 30 beads for an adult size bracelet. For a child, I’ve used around 20-25 beads. You’ll want to create a chain slightly longer than the number of beads you want to use. For example, for 30 beads, you’ll chain 39, for 4 unbeaded stitches on either side. (You’ll lose 1 stitch when you turn.)

——————————————
You Might Like:

Crochet Wrap Bracelet

Jasmine Star Jewelry Tray

How to Crochet a Foundation Single Crochet Stitch

——————————————

One Dog Woof: Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet

Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet Pattern

• Size C/2.75mm crochet hook
  • 6 strand embroidery thread
  • 20-30 size 6 glass beads
  • sewing needle small enough to go through the beads
  • scissors
  • tape
  • super glue

Abbreviations

• ch – chain stitch
  • FLO – front loop only
  • sl st(es) – slip stitch(es)
  • st(s) – stitch(es)

Bracelet Instructions

Thread 30 seed beads onto your embroidery thread or yarn.

Row 1: Leave a 7-8 inch tail.  Ch. 39. Turn

Row 2: Sl st in back ridge of the 2nd ch from hook.  Sl st in each chain across.  Turn.

Row 3: Ch. 1, sl st in FLO in each of next 4 st, *move a bead to the right of your hook, sl st in FLO of next st. Repeat from * 30 sts, sl st next 4 st.  Turn.

The bead part isn’t as hard as it sounds.  Push each bead tightly to the work before inserting your hook into the stitch to complete the slip stitch.  The bead should now be on the right of your hook, while the unused beads continue to be on the left of the hook.  (for right handers)

Row 4: Ch 1, sl st in FLO in each st across.  Leave a 7-8 inch tail and fasten off.

One Dog Woof: Beaded Friendship Bracelet

Now you have the body of the bracelet with a two tails on the same side of the bracelet.

Cut 5 lengths of embroidery thread, each about 14-15 inches (twice the length of a tail).

Attach 3 strands to the end with no tails, using a lark’s head knot.  Attach the other 2 strands to the end with the 2 tails.  You should have 6 “tails” on each end of the bracelet.

Split the 6 tails into 3 strands and braid for 2-3 inches.  Tie ends with a knot, and cut off remaining yarn ends.

Use a separate length of yarn, and tie a slightly loose knot both bracelet tails. Work 5-6 macrame knots (or a series of square knots) around both bracelet tails. Be careful not to over tighten the square knots – the tails should be free to move. Secure the macrame join with a square knot and cut ends. Add a dab of super glue to the knot ends to prevent fraying.

One Dog Woof: Crochet Bracelet with Beads

For mine, I ended the braids with a knot, added a couple more beads and tied another knot to hold them in place.  The finishing touches are completely up to you!

One Dog Woof: Crochet Bracelet

One Dog Woof: Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet

1. Rhondda Mol

Hi ChiWei! That is fabulous 🙂 Thank you!! Rhondda

• Susan Kerin

Unable to get to your links for 4-way braid or macrame knot — a popup page says there is a “security risk” and advises against going further to get to the page.

2. The "Bake and Take" Lady

Thank you! I’ve been a bead artist for about four years and just picked up crochet a year ago, after a really long time. I’ve been looking for an easy way to combine them, and I love this!! 🙂

3. Sing Happy

Don’t feel guilty! As I mentioned in an email a while back, I figured it out too and my pattern is almost identical to yours, only I did 41 chains (with a five stitch buffer on both ends) and after the initial row of sl st instead of just turning it I flipped it so I was working in the bottom of those stitches. It pulls tighter for me for some reason that way – I end up with weird loopies if I follow yours.

4. paula

LOVED your intro paragraph . . that is what I felt for so long. THEN, I decided that the only original patterns were the ones form the people who first discovered how to crochet . . and everything else is just a variation on that theme.

I always seem to find my own inspiration from the patterns of others . . kind of like, “Oh, I like that but I would REALLY like it done this way.” And off I go 🙂

LOVE reading your blog, by the way :))))

• Gami

I agree. My grandmother could look at anything and figure out the pattern.
      If I follow a pattern, I give credit where it is due, but if I figure it out, it is mine.

5. Repeat Crafter Me

Oh wow, I never thought to do this! They look so fashionable and easy to make! I used to dabble in beaded jewelry making before I picked up crochet 🙂 Thanks for the tutorial!

6. pinkkangaroo

Do you have any other photo tutorials for this awesome bracelet? I am really interested to show my daughter how to make. The single crochet tutorial is what I am talking about that would help me more. I will try again, I don’t know why I am having a brain block on this one.???? ugh. Great job. I love your blog and have followed it previous to this post.

• Chiwei @ One Dog Woof

I’m sorry, I don’t. There are lots of crochet tutorial videos on YouTube though. This bracelet is made using slip stitches, not single crochet stitches. I hope that helps!

7. Kadie

These are so cute!! I love, love these I think we will have to start making some for the summer.:)

8. Ann

Really pretty – I love the multi-coloured one. Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

9. Rhondda Mol

Hi ChiWei, Couple quick questions for you 🙂 For Row 2: are you slip stitching in the back ridge the whole way across or just the first stitch? If just in the first stitch are you slip stitching top loop only for the rest, or through both loops? For Row 3: For the remainder of the slip stitches are you going through both loops? Or top loop only? I’m struggling a bit – probably because my hands feel so big holding such a small hook and floss! My fingers are pink from the embroidery thread too…I never released the colour would leach like it does! These bracelets are beautiful and I am hoping to make my daughter and I matching ones. Thank you for your help! Rhondda

• Chiwei @ One Dog Woof

The slip stitches in the 2nd row are all the across in the back ridge. And the remainder of slip stitches are through the top loop…I think. I haven’t done one in a while, but I don’t remember going through both loops. Hope that helps!

• Rhondda Mol

Thanks Chiwei, I will try that tonight 🙂

10. Tamara

So cool! I have to make some of these! Thanks so much for linking up on Hookin On Hump Day!

11. Deanna

Gotta try this. My granddaughters will love them!

12. camila

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG COULD U MAKE A VIDEO ?????
    Tksssss

13. Jess

So I found this tutorial a couple of days ago and tried making a bracelet. I finished it but it’s all bunched up. Do you crochet loosely? Is there any chance you’d be able to make a video?

Thanks
    Jess

I hope to get in the business of making videos soon, but I don’t have any yet. The slip stitch is a pretty tight stitch so yes, you do have to crochet it pretty loosely, especially the first chain row. That’s where I find I work the stitches too tightly by accident and the rest of the rows get looser and then the whole thing comes out crooked. 🙂

14. Stephanie B

I just made one of these and it looks great. Thanks for the pattern! I do have one question: is there something I should do to keep the macrame knot from coming undone? I feel like there’s nothing really keeping it from untying.

Your email address will not be published.