Basketweave Cup Cozy Crochet Pattern with #MyFavoriteBloggers

by | All Designs, Crochet, Free Patterns

It’s theme month time with #MyFavoriteBloggers!  This month, we’re bringing you a collection of homemade Gifts Under $20, just in time for the holidays.  “Just in time” is a good thing too, since this is quite the group and you’re going to need some time to make all the fun projects we’ve got for you, starting with this Basketweave Cup Cozy!

Coffee Cup Cozy. Free basketweave crochet pattern. www.1dogwoof.com

The other day, I woke up (somewhat) to find my husband asking me if he could take one of my mug cozies from the stash in the attic.  He had bought one of those semi-non-disposable cups from Starbucks and wanted a cozy for it since those cardboard ones don’t really last.  I was a bit surprised to find that he wanted a cozy in the first place, but I told him where they were and went back to sleep.  (LM was still sleeping, and well, I sleep when the baby does!)  Then he came home from work and said that his colleagues wanted some too, and were willing to pay, but only if they were in manly colors, like gray and black.  Hmm, ok, then.

On the other side of things, in bloggy land, some readers told me that the pattern for my mug cozies was no longer available for purchase, and can I please provide the pattern?  Since I bought the original pattern, it’s not my intellectual property, so no, I can’t publish it, but I can make up my own.  So, between the requests from my husband’s work friends and requests from my readers, I figured it’s high time for me to sit down and generate my own pattern already!

Coffee Anyone?

This pattern uses a basketweave pattern, and it’s made to fit around a Starbucks cup.  I don’t drink Starbucks, but I’m told all their cups are the same in diameter, so this cozy should fit any of them.  You can always modify this pattern to be wider if you need it to fit a larger cup.  The pattern below assumes you know the concept of the basketweave, using Front Post DCs and Back Post DCs.  If you need to learn a general basketweave stitch, check out this video before continuing.

Free crochet pattern for basketweave cup cozy

Basketweave Cup Cozy

Worsted weight yarn.  I would recommend a thinner worsted weight yarn since this pattern works up pretty thick.
G hook
Button
Scissors, tapestry needle

Abbreviations

FPDC : front post double crochet stitch
BPDC: back post double crochet stitch
SC: single crochet
DC: double crochet

Row 0: Chain 36.

Row 1: Starting with the 3rd chain from hook, DC in each chain across – 33 DCs. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 2: *2 FPDC, followed by 2 BPDC.* Repeat from * to * 7 more times. 1 SC in the next chain to secure the row. Chain 9. Turn.

Row 3: Work 1 SC in each of the next 9 stitches, starting with the 2nd chain from hook. *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain to secure the row. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 4: *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Work 1 SC into each of the next 3 stitches. Chain 3. Skip next 3 stitches then work 1 SC into each of the next 2 stitches. Chain 1. Turn.

Row 5: 1 SC in each of the next 9 stitches. *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 6: *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Chain 2. Turn.

Row 7: *2 BPDC, 2 FPDC* 8 times, 1 SC in the next chain stitch to secure last row.

Edging

Round 1: Work 1 SC in the same stitch as the last SC. Continue to work 1 SC in each stitch around the piece, but work 2 SC into the same stitch on corners.

Round 2: Work 1 slip stitch in each stitch around.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

Finishing

Add a button between the first set of *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* and the second set of *FPDC, 2 BPDC* on row 4.  Fasten off and weave in ends.  (Make sure the button faces the obvious front of the piece)

#MyFavoriteBloggers!

Now, meet my lovely favorite blogger ladies and their fantabulous Gifts Under $20 projects!  Talk about one-stop shopping, or rather, one-stop crafting?  One-stop DIY’ing?  You get the picture.

MFB Nov 2013

MFB $20 gifts

Want more crochet patterns?  I’ve got a few more quick and easy projects for you to whip up – think stocking stuffers!  Take a look here for some fun ideas!

owl_pouch-2-2 Owl Pouch

Crochet Beaded Friendship Bracelet Beaded Friendship Bracelet

Flower Coasters Flower Coasters

1. Sky

How cool that the guys actually wanted something you crafted up! These look so professional! Love your cute buttons too 🙂

Thanks Sky! I know, I think that was a big reason why I just sat down and did it – knowing it was going to be put to immediate use!

2. Steph @ meet.make.laugh.

I’m so impressed that he wanted one! My husband never wants me to make him anything…. though I have sprung a toque and scarf on him he never actually asked for. And I love the look of basketweave…. this looks great! 🙂

Trust me, he’s not interested in most of my crafts 🙂 But coffee is important! I also love the basketweave look; I think that and herringbone are my favorite looks. I might have to figure out a herringbone version now that I’m thinking about it!

3. Jessica

What kind of yarn did you use for the cozy pictured? What’s your favorite for these types of projects? I love this! Thank you for the pattern!

Hi Jessica! For these home use (non-clothing) projects, I like using Lily’s Sugar n’ Cream Cotton yarn. I find them at Michaels and when they’re on sale for $1.25 each, I go a little nuts. Which means I have quite the rainbow stash at home :-).

4. Marilyn

ChiWei I LOVE this cup holder! I’ve never crocheted at basket weave pattern before…but this would be the perfect project to try! Thanks!

Thanks Marilyn! It’s not the easiest pattern to understand, but it’s fun once you get started, and works up faster than the single crochet stitch. Plus, you can make the basket weave any size, so it’s great for all sorts of big and small projects – blankets, heat pads…now I’m itching to start something else!

5. nancy

I really, really love how that basket weave pattern looks. Beautiful!

Thanks Nancy! I love the basket weave pattern – makes me want to make all sorts of stuff with that pattern now!

6. Bethany

This is soooo cute, and I love that you have buttons with your blog name on them!!!

Thanks Bethany! I bought a whole bunch of them last year and I’m still loving them!

• Melanie

Can I ask where you got your buttons? I have some with my business name, but LOVE the look of those!

Melanie, I got them from Etsy: Wearhouse Industries. They make custom wood buttons!

7. Melanie

I love your customized buttons!

Thanks Melanie! Now if someone steals the photo, my name is still on there 😉

8. Kara

I love the textured design of your cozy!

Thanks Kara!

9. Drew

Coffee is very important. Thanks honey!

10. Brittany

Your cup cozy is so cute! I love to find a practical crochet, this is such a useful craft! Did you use a cotton yarn? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Brittany! I also love me some practical crochet! I used Lily Sugar n’ Cream Cotton yarn for this project, and for most other non-wearable stuff.

11. Tara @ Suburble

I love this! (And that button! Is that a PYP find?) I sooo want a cup cozy.

Hey Tara, thanks! The button is actually from an Etsy shop called Wearhouse Industries – they make custom wooden buttons. I didn’t know about PYP back then 🙂

Hi Joann, I do actually have an etsy shop : https://www.etsy.com/shop/1dogwoof. However, I don’t have the time to keep replenishing the finished products, but there are some mug cozies available!

12. Julie

Hi I love your cup cozy especially with the button with your logo on it! I love crocheting & your cup cozy is adorable! I saw it on a night owl party. Julie at julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

Thanks Julie! It’s a great time to be crocheting, with the colder weather and all these great patterns popping up!

13. Kimberlee

Cute mug cozy! I am going to pin it so I have the pattern. Maybe I will give it a try one day among my other projects!

14. Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Ha ha! I love that your hubby and his co-workers all want to sport cup cozys now! I mean, I don’t blame them. For lack of a better word, it just looks, so…COZY! {Sheepish grin.} Well done, my friend!

Thanks Lauren! Now you’ve given me an idea for a basketweave scarf 🙂

15. nikki

Your row 1 is a full row of dbl crochet stitch right?

Nikki, Yes, good catch! I’ve updated the directions. It is 1 full row of double crochets, starting from the 3rd chain from the hook, for a total of 33 double crochets, followed by a Ch 2, then turn. Thanks so much!

• Shannen Burton

I am having trouble with row one. You said ch 36. I did but when I go from the 3rd ch and double crochet all the way down I am ending up with 35 stitches. I even tried doing it from the 4th chain and got 34 stitches. Could you help me figure out what I am doing wrong please

16. Kadie

What a great pattern! I really need to get on the ball and make some cup cozies this year! I have been meaning to do them for ages. 🙂

Thanks Kadie! I also have a list of things I’ve been meaning to do, and they all revolve around the sewing machine. But why sit in a cold attic when I can crochet next to a warm fire? 🙂

17. Vikki

I’m a nurse at a local children’s hospital. I have a twelve year old patient who would like these for her family and friends for a special valentines gift. We need 30 to 40! She’s actively dying. I have been watching videos and trying for three days to get this and well its just not working I’ve never crocheted before. I didn’t promise her by no means but it would be nice to help fulfill her wish. She wanted a cute elephant lol Is there a website that sells them reasonable. I did buy 20 Starbucks cups and will get the rest next week since they were sold out, IS there anyone willing to decrease the price on some of them or do some for free out of the kindness of you heart? My e-mail is [email protected] We are running out of time and she wanted to make little crocheted hearts to sew on them, Please contact me if you can help. Thank you for taking the time to read the post. Even if you can help by doing a few it would mean so very much to her, Thank you and God Bless 🙂

18. Barb Taylor

I love the idea of a cozy for my Starbucks coffee cup. but I’m lost, Row 2 ends with chaining 9 then turning? Then row 3 says to sc in the next 9 stitches,(do you mean chains?) then 2 BPDC ,2 FPDC 8 times,(but where? in the sc or the previous rows stitches?). I am NOT criticizing your work, I want to make this and i can’t figure out how. Please help. I’m not a designer, just an experienced beginner in crochet. Thank you

Hi Barb! So, yes, the 9 chains are to make the buttonhole piece, so in Row 2, you want to chain 9. When you turn, you’re working single crochets into those 9 chains. Then when you get to the body of the cozy, you start up again with the back post and front post DC for the basketweave look. You’ll basketweave your way down row 3, and then again up row 4, and then work on the buttonhole piece again. Does that make sense? Feel free to email me if you need more help!

• kileigh bagwell

I dont understand row 4 . *2 FPDC, 2 BPDC* 8 times. 1 SC in the next chain stitch. Work 1 SC into each of the next 3 stitches. Chain 3. Skip next 3 stitches then work 1 SC into each of the next 2 stitches. Chain 1. Turn.
        How can I work 2 SC into the next 3 stiches and then chain 3 when i dont anything left to work with?

19. Victor

this is a great idea !! and easy pattern for a mug cozy … thanks for sharing this awesome cozy!!