End of Winter Double Strand Infinity Scarf

This past weekend was pretty warm here, and by warm, I mean, it’s still January, and the temperature is above freezing.  The snow is melting, and the magnolia next door is thinking about budding.  But it’s still winter, and we can get hit by frigid temps and snowy weather any day, at least until April.  So even though I’m already looking forward to Easter and spring and sunshine, there is still a need to stay warm.

One Dog Woof: Double Strand Infinity Scarf

Here’s a smaller sized infinity scarf (or cowl) that’s light yet cozy and will keep you warm and brighten your days until spring!  This was worked using a classic V-stitch, crocheted in the round.  For added bulk, use 2 strands of yarn held together.

One Dog Woof: Infinity Scarf Free Pattern

If you’d like to sell items from this pattern or share it with your friends, I just ask that you give credit back to One Dog Woof.  Please do not repost or re-distribute the pattern in its entirety.  Thanks!

Update:  I made some minor corrections after some questions came up.  There’s a round of sc before the V-stitches start.  Then the number of V-stitch rounds is optional.  I used 6, but you can work up as many or as little as you want.

Double-Strand Infinity Cowl

You’ll need:

M size (9.0 mm) crochet hook
2 balls of worsted weight yarn.
Yarn needle

Abbreviations, in US terms:

ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
dc = double crochet
st(s) = stitch(es)
V-stitch = Work 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc into the same stitch.

Foundation: Ch 99 with 2 strands of yarn held together.  Join with a sl st in the back ridge of first chain.  This means you will twist the chain slightly in order to work into the back ridge or hump of the chain.

Round 1: Ch 1.  Work 1 sc into each st around.  Join to ch-1 with a sl st.

Round 2:  Ch 3.  Work 1 dc into same st  as join.  *Skip 2 st.  Work (dc, ch 1, dc) in next st.  This is one V-stitch made.  Repeat from * around.  Skip 2 st.  Join with a sl st into 2nd chain of round. – 99 sts

At this point, count your stitches and make sure you still have the same number you started with.

Round 3:  Ch 3. Work 1 dc into next ch-1 sp.  *Skip 2 st.  Work (dc, ch 1, dc) in next ch-1 sp.  Repeat from * around. Skip 1 st, then join with a sl st into 2nd chain of round. – 99 sts

Round 4:  Repeat Round 3.

Round 5:  Repeat Round 3.

Round 6:  Repeat Round 3.

Round 7:  Repeat Round 3.

Round 8:  Ch 1 (does not count as st).  Work 1 sc into each st around.  Join with a sl st.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

One Dog Woof: Double Strand Infinity Scarf, Free Pattern

The Crochet Itch

If you liked this pattern, or are new here, or both, and want more projects, take a moment and check out my other patterns!

Comments

Good Morning ChiWei, I can crochet, but it has been a long time since I have made anything, so I think this cowl type scarf would be perfect. I am going to give it a go, I will let you know how I get on.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

It’s gorgeous, ChiWei – I LOVE these cowls. It saves me from having to figure out the most stylish way to wrap my scarf, LOL! We have full-on winter here this morning, the first “real” snow of the winter, so this would have been cute and handy this morning!! Blech!

I decided yesterday I was going to make myself an infinity scarf, cuz I’m tired of the added bulkyness of a normal scarf under my coat. So your pattern comes in at the right time. I think this smaller one will be better than the full infinity scarf you have, but which do you prefer? Now to get some yarn!

Oh, I like this! I may start this today. Great project for an icy day here in NC! Thanks for the pattern. Pinning to my yappy yarn board. :-)

Found your pattern via petalsandpicots….thanks for this pattern! Been looking for a crochet infinity cowl (most ive found are knitted). Going to give it a try this weekend. You have a lovely blog :).

Thanks so much for sharing this at Link It Up Thursday last week! You were the most viewed link YAY and will be featured at the party that goes live tomorrow. Way to go girl.:)

Hi Kathy! You can post pictures on a blog, or Flickr or a Picasa website or Instagram or Pinterest, anywhere that can be publicly accessible, so when you share it at the link party, everyone else can see what you made.

I am almost done with mine, and would love to make some fingerless gloves or hat (or both) with the same yarn. Do you have any ideas or patterns that you think are good?

Once you join into back ridge of chain should you be sc in the front or back of the chain. Sorry new to crochet and I’d like to get this right.

9. Emily says

I was wondering if this could be worked up with an N hook instead of M. For some odd reason, I have everything but an M and I’m too lazy to go buy one unless I really need to. Or could this be worked up with just one strand of yarn using like an H or J?

Thanks
    Emily

Sure, you can use any size hook really – you just have to adjust yarn and gauge. The difference between an M and an N isn’t big enough to noticeably change the outcome. Working with 1 strand of yarn may make the scarf too small to be cozy, but it’s definitely doable!

10. Sara says

I am wondering if each row of vstitch goes into the middle of th v stitch in the previous row? Or does it go into horne top of a dc?

I’m just getting into crochet and think this looks like a good first “real” project for me. You say two balls of worsted weight yarn. Can you expand on that with yardage or weight? I’m finding the amount of yarn needed for things to be the biggest mystery for me so far! Many thanks in advance!

12. Molly says

I have made a few different cowls, but my first row is always too tight. When I get finished all the rows look great, but the first row sucks the rest of them towards it. I hope my description makes sense. The only thing I can think, is that I make the first 99 stitches too tight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Molly, That happens to me a lot too. I force myself to make the foundation chain really loose. Sometimes, I use a larger hook to make the chain, and then switch to the correct hook for the rest of the piece. I also rip out the first couple of rows, a lot, once I realize I made my chain too tightly, so yup, you’re not alone there!